cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

?!? DUPLICATE ACCOUNT REPORTED AFTER GOODWILL SUCCESS ?!?

tag
Bcutiebooti

?!? DUPLICATE ACCOUNT REPORTED AFTER GOODWILL SUCCESS ?!?

AFTER PULLING MY CREDIT AND NOTICING A FEW LATE PAYMENTS THAT I WANTED TO HAVE REMOVED, I DECIDED TO WRITE KAY JEWELERS A GOODWILL LETTER. AMAZINGLY THEY RESPONDED QUICKLY BY RE-REPORTING THE SAME ACCOUNT WITHOUT ANY LATE PAYMENTS. UNFORTUNATELY, THEY FORGOT TO DELETE THE NEGATIVE ACCOUNT IN THE PROCESS. NOW THE SAME ACCOUNT IS SHOWING ON MY REPORT EXCEPT ONE LOOKS AWESOME AND THE OTHER LOOKS HORRIBLE. HOW DO I GET THE NEGATIVE ACCOUNT REMOVED. ANY AND ALL ADVICE WELCOMED! THANK YOU!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: ?!? DUPLICATE ACCOUNT REPORTED AFTER GOODWILL SUCCESS ?!?

Message 2 of 8
Bcutiebooti

I contacted them yesterday to explain the situation and see if they were able to change it however they are telling me that they never made the change. They said that making such a change is against their policy and they would never do that because it is also illegal and they must report all accounts accurately based on our payment history. The last thing that I wanted to do was argue with them and make them delete the good account and keep the negative account so I told them to disregard the conversation and that I must have been thinking of another company. Should I contact the credit bureau? What are the worst case scenarios for me leaving them both on my credit report?
Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 8
Bcutiebooti

I pulled the report from Experian 2 days ago. I didnt dipsute it with them because I didnt know if they would contact Kay Jewelers at which time I am assuming Kay would give them the information in their system which matches the negatively reported account. If that happens it would defeat the purpose of the goodwill letter. 

Message 5 of 8
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I believe in the auto dispute through the credit bureaus there is a "Duplicate Account" check box. But since the old trade line with the negatives is the original again you run the risk of them deleting the better trade line. You may want to wait a few months and see if KAY updates both accounts or only the new clean one. If they only update the new one you may want to leave it alone and let the negative marks just age on their own.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 8
Bcutiebooti

Am I able to leave a note on my credit report staying that this is a duplicate/inaccurate account so that when I apply for a credit card the approving official is able to see it?
Message 7 of 8
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

You can add a note to the account but it is dubious as to how much affect it will have. Most credit approvals are done automatically through computer algorithms and they will never factor in information contained in a note. If it does get to the level of human review at your request or otherwise even though they see the note they are still going to question the late payment notations.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.