Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV Process

tag
tim2
Contributor

DV Process

OK -

Can someone explain the DV process to me please?  I am about to send out a letter but feel foolish because I don't know what's supposed to happen next.

Send out the DV to the CA:
1 - They respond or don't respond.  Do they have a time limit?
2 - What if they don't respond within the time limit?
3 - What if they validate?  Then what?

Thanks everyone!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DV Process

tim2 wrote:
OK -

Can someone explain the DV process to me please?  I am about to send out a letter but feel foolish because I don't know what's supposed to happen next.

Send out the DV to the CA:
1 - They respond or don't respond.  Do they have a time limit?

30 days from the date they receive the letter. Allow time for mailing, b/c if they mail out the letter on the 30th day, then they are still within time allowed.

2 - What if they don't respond within the time limit?

If they don't respond, you send copy of letter, green card, and a letter to the CRA explaining that you requested debt validation from XXXXXX and they failed to validate. That in accordance with the FDCPA, if they can't validate within 30 days, they can't report, it needs to be deleted.

3 - What if they validate?  Then what?

If they validate, next step is your choice. PFD is what comes next for those who can and are willing to pay.

Thanks everyone!

Message 2 of 5
tim2
Contributor

That clears it up for me!  Thanks!
Message 3 of 5
tim2
Contributor

No luck!  Tried to PFD but now they are just calling me.  I'm just going to pay it and get it over with.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tim,

Is the CA within SOL (what state are you in)?  I'm still a newbie but it's my understanding that if they are within SOL they can still attempt to collect and even sue!  Seems like though they are now calling you to harrass you and get you to pay without having to validate so I wouldn't pay them anything just yet! Wait the 30 days for the DV response. 

In the meantime, since it seems you're willing to pay you should attempt to PFD the OC - NOT the CA!  Then either way at the end of the DV period you can still tell them you don't owe them JACK! lol

Good luck!

Forum pros how did I do?

SerenityBound...indeed!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.