Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV shows incorrect SS#

tag
SCAREDCROW
Established Member

DV shows incorrect SS#

Hello everyone; I'm hoping some of you may have insight on how to handle this one;

My wife and I recently did a DV on a medical collection account, and what the CA returned was interesting.  The  collection involves a situation where my son received medical treatment.  The collection account shows up 'only' on my wife's CR, while the billing documentation shows only my social security number as I was the party on the insurance. 

1. How can she legally be tagged on this if her SS# does not show anywhere?
2. Can the collection be disputed with the CA to have them remove it from her CR?
3. (Or) should the account just be disputed with the CRA for removal?

The CA is reporting it to the wrong SS# but if we continue to work through this, they may decide to report to my CR also.  Then we are faced with this being reported on both my wife's and my CR.

Thanks all for your assistance.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DV shows incorrect SS#

You can always dispute it as "not mine". And it's not.

Were you the responsible party for paying the med charges?
Message 2 of 13
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Did you have to take your son into get medical treatment?

And we wonder why our health care costs keeps rising.

OK I am off my soap box.

Message Edited by Boswd on 11-20-2007 10:44 AM
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boswd wrote:
Did you have to take your son into get medical treatment?

Congrats Boswd. You've won Most Asinine Comment Of The Day.

Message 4 of 13
Boswd
Valued Contributor

And why is that Noah?  If this was an insurance snafu, then OC would have mentioned it.   The bottom line is, and you can look up the facts,  one of the leading causes of rising health care is unpaid medical bills.   If you owe it pay it, so we don't have to pay for you.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

SCAREDCROW wrote:

My wife and I recently did a DV on a medical collection account, and what the CA returned was interesting.
1. How can she legally be tagged on this if her SS# does not show anywhere?
2. Can the collection be disputed with the CA to have them remove it from her CR?
3. (Or) should the account just be disputed with the CRA for removal?

They must have her SSN somehow. Assuming we're talking a minor child, even though your SSN might have been on the insurance coverage, your wife's SSN might have been tagged by the provider simply because Mom was the one who brings Junior in for check-ups and what not so she's "on the account".

The insurance company is my recommended first line of attack on this.

Review the CA's first letter to you as well as their response to ensure their compliance with §809 (aka 15 USC 1692g)

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boswd wrote:
If this was an insurance snafu, then OC would have mentioned it.

Horsesh*t! Any number of folks here and elsewhere have encountered medical provider snafu. The insurance companies aren't angels, but I personally encounter more provider snafus than anything else--along with an arrogance that "We're medical professionals." Their poop still stinks.

It is asinine to challenge someone's decision to seek medical treatment. If that was supposed to be sarcasm, then my apologies as I missed it. But I wasn't and still am not reading sarcasm into your remarks. You seemed to be conveying an attitude of, "Well, if you couldn't afford to pay the bills then you shouldn't have gone to doctor. Someone's gotta die afterall."

Message 7 of 13
Boswd
Valued Contributor

that's not my point at all but if you do owe the debt and it wasn't an insurance snafu, then work something out and get the bill paid.  If it was an insurance problem then my apolgies to the OP but if not and just trying to get out of paying the bill because a number was recorded wrong and looking for a loophole to get out of paying.   Then who has to pay?    US.  In the form or rising health care cost which lead to higher insurance cost.  

So please don't take my point and take liberty's with it.

Message Edited by Boswd on 11-20-2007 03:02 PM
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

To the OP,

Provider snafus are far more common, and the insurance company is your friend. If they've screwed up, and they discover it, they'll do right. If the provider screwed up, insurance companies are willing to lean on providers to make them do right.

Message 9 of 13
marty56
Super Contributor

It is my understanding that the person who has the medical plan is responsible to pay the portion that the medical insurance didnt cover (deductable, co-pay, non-covered charges).   This is assuming that you filed a claim on your medical insurance for your son and that your son is a minor.  I also assume that your wife took your son to the doctor.

If this is all true, then you would be on the hook to pay the bill and your wife would not be responsible for the late bill.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.