Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV

tag
TryingVeryHard
Frequent Contributor

DV

Is it fair to say that DV is somewhat useless after the 30 days of initial contact?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DV

what is 'initial' - when they sent a letter(which you trashed w/o opening) or when you found it on your reports?  I personally feel that must validate in order to collect!

and DV is more than the account- it is also a 'right' to collect this from me, being legal (in my state) to collect this from me, etc....
Message 2 of 9
TryingVeryHard
Frequent Contributor

I mean initial contact, when the collector send the first collection letter.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

that is the 'spcified' time in the code - buat again "when did you become aware?"

I just DV's one that has been on my repport for almost a year - they answered (most will to preserve their rights) but not with the license and agreement to collect. They sent an acocunt statement....
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

A DV is good anytime!!!!!!!  If they send you a letter & it isn't on your CR yet.....you have 30 days to DV them or they can report.

Lets say that you do not open mail that you think is an add and you toss all that crap. So you didn't know about it until you pulled your CR.

You send a DV and state that you just pulled CR and there they were. They then have 30 days to answer your DV.  IF they do not then they can not report to CRAs (after that 30 days)

Message Edited by HappyDays on 12-08-2007 04:47 PM
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

TryingVeryHard wrote:
Is it fair to say that DV is somewhat useless after the 30 days of initial contact?

It might perhaps be more correct to say that it's less useful beyond the 30 day window.

Within the 30 day window, non-compliance is a FDCPA violation. Heck, the initial written letter from the CA has to conform--and that applies whether you DV them or not.
See FDCPA §809(a), aka 15 USC 1692g.

In Texas, a consumer can DV under Texas state law ANYTIME. The 30 day limit doesn't apply, under state law, and Texas law tends to be very consumer friendly.

In other states, once beyond the 30 day window, while there's no FDCPA violation, a friendly judge could still rule that an untimely DV letter shows the consumer disputed at least some portion of the claim, and that alone could be enough to turn the worm to the consumer's favor. Judges have been known at times to rule, "Heh, b*tthole CA, you got a letter disputing the claim, you need to answer the consumer. You didn't, so case dismissed."

An untimely DV can have the effect of causing the CA to move their bowels or get off the pot.

If they have validation, they will often send it--the subtle message being, "If you wanna go to court, we're willing and we can prove what we say." If so, then you enter into a friendly settlement negotiation knowing they might well sue.

If they don't have validation, they might just go away thinking, "It ain't worth it to pursue."

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I never received the written notice but only call from CA how do I DV? I mean where do I get the address  of CA and account number? The CR only shows the name of the CA and last 4 digits of account number. Can the Credit bureaus provide that info?

I asked the CA to send me the written notice and they said they will but so far no response ( 2 days back). I'm afraid they will take the phone call as the initial contact and my 30 days will be counted from there?

I'm ready to DV now thanks to great people here and just need these questions answered. Thank you all.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, Noah!

This is what I needed to see!  I'm in Texas and looking to DV 10 CAs (using Lonnster's ltr).  Only HappyDays was explaining to me about SOLs and dates so I'm still unclear.

I have my 3-n-1 from freecreditreport.com and the only dates that show on my tradelines are "date open" and the latest reporting date.  So I don't know what the DOLAs are.  As for "Date Open" I have 6/10 accts over 4yrs and 4 @ 4 yrs.  I don't know who/when to DV.  Note that I am currently disputing all 3 bureau CRs and don't know if I can DV at the same time.

Can you help me?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

k90 wrote:
If I never received the written notice but only call from CA how do I DV? I mean where do I get the address  of CA and account number? The CR only shows the name of the CA and last 4 digits of account number. Can the Credit bureaus provide that info?

I asked the CA to send me the written notice and they said they will but so far no response ( 2 days back). I'm afraid they will take the phone call as the initial contact and my 30 days will be counted from there?

I'm ready to DV now thanks to great people here and just need these questions answered. Thank you all.

I believe they must send written notice within 5 days of telephone contact.  Yes on your CR it should have the names/address. You might to click "show details" or something like that.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.