cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dad applied for credit, I got a credit card in my name.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dad applied for credit, I got a credit card in my name.

My dad recently applied for a Wal-Mart Discover card. He registered using the keypad at a Wal-Mart checkout stand to enter his SSN, DOB and all pertinent information. When he was approved, a receipt printed out with MY NAME congratulating me on being approved for a Wal-Mart Discover card.

Today a Wal-Mart Discover card came to me. I went online to check my credit report and I have no hard pulls or soft pull by GEMB/Walmart. I do however see that Experian is reporting the trade line on my credit report already.

My father and I have DIFFERENT first names but live at the same address. I am on an authorized user on any of his cards so this confuses me. How did this happen? How do we fix this?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dad applied for credit, I got a credit card in my name.

Sounds like a mixed file. Same surname and address. Have him call GEMB to get it corrected to report under his file and information. Also be sure to tell them that it is reporting to your credit reports. He may need to pull his reports too, to be sure they get it straightend out.

If you need this off of your CR's right away, you could always dispute it, but it could get the account closed down.  

Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Were you with him when he applied? Often your purchase information (e.g. debit card, CC) at the time of purchase is linked into the keypad you use to apply. So, if you were with him, and the purchase was made by you, and he decided to apply, then your info could have migrated to his app.....Like at Target. Use your debit card and sometimes you'll get a pre-approval for a CC. It is scary how much info they have.

Message 3 of 5
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

I worked at target and it doesn't really have anything to do with your credit history. Target gives preapprovals because they don't like paying CC fees. They offer preapproval with every other debit card purchase in an attempt to decrease the fees they have to pay to the CCC's. Also, the system is set up to kick out an offer when you spend over X amount so they can offer that 10% discount and entice you to save that 20 bucks on your 200 dollar purchase, all the while saving in fees and making a little interest on the back end. Its a slimy system really.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@cadavis0609 wrote:
I worked at target and it doesn't really have anything to do with your credit history. Target gives preapprovals because they don't like paying CC fees. They offer preapproval with every other debit card purchase in an attempt to decrease the fees they have to pay to the CCC's. Also, the system is set up to kick out an offer when you spend over X amount so they can offer that 10% discount and entice you to save that 20 bucks on your 200 dollar purchase, all the while saving in fees and making a little interest on the back end. Its a slimy system really.

Seems like I remember now that you worked there. Question: Some have posted in here that they got the visa-preapproval notice on their receipt vs. the red card. Is this true? Or could it be that they were approved for A card, but during the app process approved for the Visa?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.