cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dave Ramsey ideology, the good the bad the ugly...

tag
zahservices

Dave Ramsey ideology, the good the bad the ugly...

So, in my efforts to be debt free and yet also have good credit, I've latched on to Dave Ramsey's financial advice and I have to say... I'm a bit confused. I want to purchase a car in the near future. He advises "buy it, don't use credit, no payments, own it clear and free".... but I've also been advised that having an auto loan, and ofcourse paying it on time, is one of the best ways to boost your credit score. What do you all think is the best middle ground. I do NOT want to lease, but yet, I do think having a small auto loan will benefit me in my goal to have excellent credit. Is credit really the devil? Will getting an auto loan hurt in the long run, in my efforts to be debt free...? I'm very conflicted and I'm not sure which way to go. Hope you all can shine some light.

Thanks for your help.

EE

Starting Score: 575
Current Score: 594
Goal Score: 840

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dave Ramsey ideology, the good the bad the ugly...

Dave Ramsey has some good points, however he has some off the wall things to, it's up to you to decide what's best for you.

My advice?

Get credit if you need it.  If you don't need a car, don't get a car loan.  If you don't need to borrow money, don't do it.   If you can pay cash for a vehicle, then by all means, do that.

You can get a good credit score WITHOUT going deep into debt.

You can use CCs, use them occassionally, or often, and pay the bill in full.  Don't waste money on things you don't need to!

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter, what do I know?   Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@zahservices wrote:

What do you all think is the best middle ground.

Doesn't really matter what I or anyone else thinks.  You need to sort out what works for you.

@zahservices wrote:

Is credit really the devil?

Credit is just credit. Things are not evil. It's misuse of credit that is a problem. You have to decide if paying cash for large items (car, house, etc) will work for you. If not, you'll need good credit.

@zahservices wrote:

Will getting an auto loan hurt in the long run, in my efforts to be debt free...? I

None of us can tell you your future. For some, it's a bad idea.  For some it isn't.  It's not a one-size-fits-all matter.

Message 3 of 7
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the sentiments of the other posters.  When buying a depreciating asset like a vehicle, buying with cash makes the most sense.  Problem is 99% of people don't have the cash to buy a new car and a lesser percentage can buy a used vehicle with cash.  Most of us have to finance.  The next best thing is to build up as large a down payment as you can then with your trade-in value, purchase a vehicle that is right for your budget

A lot of people suggest buying a vehicle that is only 1 or 2 years old and relatively low mileage since a vehicle depreciates the most in those years.  If you need to get an auto loan be sure you don't stretch the amortization out beyond the value of your vehicle.  In other words, if at any point in your paying the loan that your vehicle is worth less than what you owe, you are in an upside down position.  It is absolutely crazy when I see people lining up to pay off a new car in 6 or 7 years!  Heck some cars may not even last that long without proper maintenance.  Hence, they higher the down payment, the more positive your postion on the vehicle's net worth is and if you chose to resell the vehicle you can at least recoup part of the value.

Leasing is an option but should only be for those who like to swap out for new vehicles every few years and don't want to pay for any repairs.  I tried it a couple of times and regretted it since there is no way to build up equity that you can use on trading it for your next vehicle.  The payments may be cheaper but you have zilch at the end of the contract.

Lastly, a credit score is a tool.  It is not the be all and end all of your financial health and it isn't worth chasing the tail of a credit score just to get a higher number.  Concentrate on your own personal financial situation and let the credit score be.  I know that sounds like heresy on a forum dedicated to understanding and growing the score, but in the end we all just want good financial health don't we?  Sure let's do what we can to fine tune our scores but don't turn your financial world on its head to do so. 

Have a good day!

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 4 of 7
Mahem

I know this thread is several months old but I just read something about Dave Ramseys "I LOVE DEBT" score, apparently his take on FICO. 

I don't know a lot about Ramsey's system but if you follow his advice on paying cash for everything and avoiding credit, I think you are missing out on some good stuff. I would follow his advice certainly if you can't manage your credit and keep your util down.But if you have learned to master credit and how to keep your FICO scores in good standing, why not have a good rewards card for groceries and gas and another for cash back. Why not finance a car at 0% if you can qualify for that and collect interest on the money you would have otherwise given to the dealer? 

It seems to me there is a lot of opportunity that using (not abusing) credit provides. Does his system present this at any point?

Starting Score: EQ 640
Current Score: EQ 663|TU 689|EX 644
Goal Score: 700 club

Message 5 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I agree with the responses given to you earlier.

Personally, good financial management is mix of assets and liabilities. Making payments to anyone is a liability. The debt score also called credit score is a measure of your repayment habits - a measure of your risk for the lender.

If you look at what we know about the scoring formula, installment loans are a very small portion of the score (10%). And if you have student loans you already have installment loans.

Most of the score uses the utility (30%) and payment history on your revolving and debt (35%). Actually it looks at your repayment on any reported debt, but the heaviest weight appears to be on your revolving debt.

Many people here have high scores without going deep into debt at all. And they have high scores without installment loans.

So really, Dave Ramsay is right when it comes to having a vehicle loan IMHO. But, as pointed out, it is up to you to design your own financial strategies given the tools you have at hand.

Message 6 of 7
Cprman
Contributor

Dave Ramsey is a great starting place for people that are really quite new to personal finance. I have so many friends that live beyond their means, have crazy credit card debts, filing bankruptcy, etc. But I think once you get a good foundation and understand the system, Ramsey falls short in a few areas. If you ever want a house, which I'm sure most won't buy with cash, you'll be quite sorry if you don't have a reasonable positive credit history. A few decimal places on a loan (especially as the price tag goes up) can by thousands over the life of a loan.

If you don't like credit cards, go with a few of them and just put one bill on each that auto pays. Or if you're have the discipline run a cash rewards card or two and pay in full. Last year I made hundreds off the credit card companies.

I hope some day to be debt free like Ramsey aims for, but I still will leverage my way through at times.

5/08 EQ 696.....9/13 EQ 796.....9/17 EX 824, EQ 843
Amex Blue Cash 15K || PenFed Cash Rewards 18K || Chase Freedom 12K || Cap1 Quicksilver 15K || Amazon Prime 3.8K || Citi Double Cash 10.8K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.