Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dazed and Confused

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dazed and Confused

Two divorces have crashed my credit w/ two derogatories created by my ex's conduct. One should drop off in feb..Transunion removed one of the baddies, an old car loan my ex allowed to be repossesed. Experian and Equifax will not remove the ex's bad car loan.I have been rehabilitating my credit for well over a year and just became truly credit worthy in the last six months. My goal was to be able to buy my son a car and prepare for the potential need for a line of credit for my business. Because of emergency circumstances I obtained two cap one cards w/3k limits. Also, on Friday I obtained a car loan for 30k (10k downpayment).  The reason for my post is two fold, first Experian reduced my score 4 points today. I assume b/c of the auto loan inquiries? Second, what now? my Transunion was finally respectable at 710 but now experian has me at 659. I hope Transunion stays at a decent score. What gives? When will my score rebound? Should I stay away from all new credit right now? I don't have a mortgage and own my own home. I thought the auto loan would vary my types of credit in a manner that would help my score. I'm lost but like to be proactive. It is hard to just sit and wait for things to reconcile. Any help appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Dazed and Confused

You've recenlty added multiple new accounts.  It will take time and responsible usage for your scores to recover.  I'd sugget hitting the Rebuilding subforum to see what you can do about the derogs as they tend to have a significant impact and hold one's scores down as long as they are reporting.

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought the auto loan would vary my types of credit in a manner that would help my score.

If you got it on Friday then it's likely that the HP's have hit but the new account itself has not reported.  You would have to look at your reports to verify.

Any time you want to understand the causes of any score change you have to carefully review reports from before and after the change.  That said, I don't recommend fretting over a 4 point score change.  Scores fluctuate a bit just from normal usage.  I'd suggest setting a threshold of 20 points or more if you're going to fixate on the numbers.  I suggest focusing the on the data in your reports instead.  Creditors use a number of different scoring models and you'll find that the numbers you were relying on are not necesssarily the ones that a given creditor will pull for you.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dazed and Confused

Thank you for the sound logic and much needed reassurance. I didn't know about the subforum but will check it out. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.