Valued Member

Deal with Capital One or Collection Agency?

I had a Cap One account charged off a few years ago and I'm seeking to clean this up after avoiding it for a while. I've sent a PFD letter to Cap One (which is the only party listing this on my credit reports)...however, I have been contacted in the past by a couple of different CA's attempting to settle it (OSI was one...but I can't remember the other without looking through files). Am I best just do deal with Cap One since they are the only one listing this on my credit reports or would the CA's possibly be able to offer a PFD (something which Cap One apparantly doesn't do often)?
Frequent Contributor

Re: Deal with Capital One or Collection Agency?

I have sent one PFD letter to Cap 1 and it was a no go.  I then sent two PFD letters to the CA that is also listing this account and they just keep ignoring my letters and sending me settlement letters. 
Valued Member

Even if settling is the only option available, I will probably take them up on it now as I need to clear this revolving credit from my CR's. According to the score estimator that I got with the Suzie Orman kit, doing this alone would raise my score from about 600 to up around 670 (Personally, I have my doubts it would do this much...but even if I get half that jump, it would be worth it). I also want to avoid the possibility of them filing against me before the SOL expires and desire to put this chapter of my life (when I made many bad credit decisions) behind me.
Regular Contributor

As far as seeing the bigger picture (ie: protecting your credit so your can get the bigger loans like a mortgage or refinance at the lowest possible interest rates, thereby saving lots of money every month), I would strongly advise you to try and settle up NOW with CapitalOne, so long as you can afford to.  Even if you have to, work out a payment plan with this creditor before this goes any further...
Frequent Contributor

I agree, work it out before it goes to the CAs

I'm David, and I am a FICO-aholic
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.