Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debit Card Scam and EQ Scorewatch - A common link

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debit Card Scam and EQ Scorewatch - A common link

rifleman wrote:
I second that--NEVER use a debit card for just about anything--especially online. If a company goes under whom you purchased goods from with a debit card you may never see that money again. If you used a credit card it's as simple as calling them up and telling them you never made the purchase. I've had this happen to me several times--and a credit card has saved my A$$.

Make it a habit--stop using debit cards.

Use cash, Use credit, but don't use debit.

Strange thing is I can't recall using my debit card online, I use my Amex because I know they are tough on fraud and I earn reward points. It's obvious someone bought my check-card info somehow. I just hope that's all they have. I placed a 90-Day FA on all reports and notifed all of my creditors of what happened and they agreed to step-it-up and created additional security questions, passwords and so forth. 
Message 31 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try this on (DH's debit card, BTW)

Paid for his drugs at CVS in April.  Didn't even notice a $160 charge on his card that wasn't CVS.  Fast Forward to August - we go to CVS and get drugs, then putter around and then go to get lunch, DH stops at the ATM and tries to get money.  There were over $400 in charges other than the CVS charge made that morning with his card.  No lunch - off to the bank we go.  Bank contacts merchant, merchant investigates, finds 3 other people hit for charges that chargedback.  Further investigation - clerk at CVS had carped the card # - and was having drungs sent into DC (let's just say these were valuable street drugs).  Clerk faces charges for fraud, mail fraud (they were mailed via a mail-order plan), federal drug charges (interstate), etc.... the timecards of when the drugs were put thru the system helped in isolating the culprit.  THIS DID TAKE TIME and CVS cooperated.
Message 32 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just talking to my boss about this exact thing 5 minutes ago! I was telling him that the internet in and of itself is actually a rather secure environment if you are careful--but that a lot of identity theft occurs in brick-and-morter stores the old fashion way. All you need is one unscrupulous employee with a stack of credit card #'s, and he can sell them online or elsewhere.

L Scarlet, I am glad you got things fixed with your DH's bank
Message 33 of 43
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Lady_Scarlet your story is very scary. Good thing your DH's entire identity wasn't stolen and your bank stood by you folks.
Message 34 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear of these problems. Hope everyone gets things resolved.

My debit card # has been out there forever. Getting paranoid about that now. May have to think about getting a new card/account # issued & then not using it. 
Message 35 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the reasons I REALLY, REALLY like CitiBank is the 'virtual account numbers' - you can have them generate a one-time use number (request it online) for shopping online.
Message 36 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fused, I forget to say that he STILL uses the debit card a lot - but pays MUCH MUCH closer attention to his bank account now.  He never knew he was missing $160 until August when the bank found it, not him.

The Merchant was very helpful (ah, if my DH took those drugs he would croak) and they were not scripted by any of his docs...

He was as rip roaring mad as you (try a 2star Marine General on a "I'm gonna get this resolved mission") - but realized that the system does work when you are in the right.

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 11-27-2007 06:56 PM
Message 37 of 43
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Lady_Scarlet wrote:
Fused, I forget to say that he STILL uses the debit card a lot - but pays MUCH MUCH closer attention to his bank account now.  He never knew he was missing $160 until August when the bank found it, not him.

The Merchant was very helpful (ah, if my DH took those drugs he would croak) and they were not scripted by any of his docs...

He was as rip roaring mad as you (try a 2star Marine General on a "I'm gonna get this resolved mission") - but realized that the system does work when you are in the right.

Message Edited by Lady_Scarlet on 11-27-2007 06:56 PM

I'm glad this was a happy ending, I love happy endings.Smiley Happy
Message 38 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Digismarket Scam and EQ Scorewatch - A common link

fused wrote:
I have fallen victim too. A fraudulent charge of $4.95 from a company called mfbpsite.com was made on my check card and posted to my account on 11/20. I cancelled the card, disputed it with the bank, made a police report and I am in the process of placing freezes on my CRs. And here I thought my bank was somehow involved. I hope this ends now!

Wow, you certainly nipped it in the bud.  Nobody's going to be able to rip you off, fused!  There's a lot of services like that going around.  I'm not sure if most of you guys are "opting out", but let me just tell you...I just recently opted out, but over the past year I've read everything I've been offered.  And there were a lot of services that offered free gift cards with agreements attached that said, "we are working closing with your bank and by using this gift card you agree to signing up for this service" in the fine print.  And one offer even said, "by not responding to this, you agree to signing up for..."  I swear...I wish I had kept that offer from BoA.  How can you automatically enroll somebody in something, if they don't respond?  That has to be illegal.

But yeah, definitely watch your mail for scams like this.  And make sure your bank takes accountability for this type of fraud.  Because that's what it is.  Fraud.
Message 39 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Digismarket Scam and EQ Scorewatch - A common link

Hi everyone, i am a newbie here and the reason is last wednesday my debit card number was stolen. I am retentive about checking my statement online and was looking for my payroll deposit to make sure I was ready for " Black Friday". Imagine my surprise when I was 1210.94 short! My bank explained that they couldn't dispute it until it was actually debited from my account and it ended up being to Air France. I got it back today but it is being called a temporary credit. They basically hav eto prove I made the purchase which they won't be able to, but It doesn't make me feel better. So I started researching my credit report, put a FA on all 3, filed a police report and was told they won't do anything. Apparently 1210.94 is a drop in the bucket and my bank will just eat it. So fused, I know how you feel and then some.
Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.