Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debits post days before credits?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debits post days before credits?

Hey folks. I recent paid back a large chunk of my credit card debt on 3 different cards. None of them have been reported here as a balance change or score improvement. The credits posted to my account(s) on the 6th. Since then I have made some small purchases yesterday on the 8th. These debits have already been reported as both a balance change and a score decrease. I have confirmed, online, with both my bank (credit union) and the respective CC companies that the payments have posted and reduced my balance. None of the payments are on authorization hold/pending/etc status. Is this normal, for credits to post days later than debits? I feel like in the past thsi has not been the case, but that's subjective memory so I could be wrong. Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debits post days before credits?

That's the way it's always worked for me with BOFA and other lenders; there's some holds which can take effect when it comes to making payments / credits to your account especially when it involves the transfer of money between institutions... that's a reason why it might occur that way.

That's compared to most Pending debits which almost always seem to get pushed through by the statement in my case.  Little fustruating but such is life.

        
Message 2 of 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Debits post days before credits?

@Anonymous wrote:

None of them have been reported here as a balance change or score improvement.

Balances aren't updated on your reports in real time.  They update whenever your accounts normally report which is statement date for most credit cards.

@Anonymous wrote:

These debits have already been reported as both a balance change and a score decrease.

Which score are you referring to?  How would debits report and affect your score if balances aren't updating?  Line items aren't reported -- balances are.

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this normal, for credits to post days later than debits?

It's not unusual.  What's normal depends on the specifics of the situation and the creditor.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.