cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Collection Help

tag
jehovasfitness

Debt Collection Help

3 yrs ago when I was in college I failed to pay a utility bill and it was sent to collection. It has obviously been sent and put on my credit report. I was told at this point that paying the debt would do little to help my credit score since there would still be a note of it on my credit report. In my research I read that if I wrote them a letter stating that I would pay the debt if they completely remove it from my credit report, then this would be possible. I call the lady today and she wants me to pay immediately saying that credit reports are updated the 3rd Sat of each month. I tell her about the letter I want to send, but she says that they can't completely remove it from my report that I just need to pay it now. Am I missing something here, or is the lady just trying to get me to pay today? I have no problem paying the debt assuming it will be completely taken off, not just noted as paid. help???
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt Collection Help

I'm not an authority but I'll give it a go.

First- Stop communicating by phone. Communicate by mail only.

Second- send them the PFD letter.

Do not pay unless you receive confirmation from them in writing that they will delete the derog account from your CR (if they refuse, then it's your decision, but probably best to pay if you can).

There have been many posts recently regarding PFDs, a search will yield a wealth of info.

Good luck 

Message Edited by Anderson on 08-06-2007 08:21 AM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.