Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Collection Scam

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Collection Scam

I recently began receiving phone calls from a group that calls themselves "Atlantic Group" who claim to be arbitrators regarding legal action that is pending against me.  They asked me to confirm my SSAN--which I refused until they told me who I allegedly owed.  (I have spent the last year cleaning my credit and I owe no one--I've even paid old charged off items on my credit report).  I informed them that I do not conduct financial business over the phone without seeing facts on paper first; and requested that they first contact me by mail.  The agent said that if I did not talk them then, I would be sued.  Knowing that I owe no one, I told her that I am requesting they take me to court then. The agent became upset and hung up in my face.  These people have since contacted my mother,  my brother, my sister, and my aunt looking asking about me.

They called me back. and I instructed them not to call my family--especially when asking them to confirm my SSAN.  I told them that I am on the DO-NOT-CALL-LIST and have reported them for harassment with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.  (I attempted to report them to the BBB but they aren't listed--you can't even Google an address for these people).  The agent told me that she didn't care and she was going to keep calling me.  I have began to keep a log and record each time they call me and/or my family members.

I have looked this company up online and found many people have have the exact same scenario as I described earlier.  I am not worried about owing them, I am mortified that my family has been contacted with this nonsense and am nervous that these people have even part of my SSAN.  

What more can I do in this situation?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Debt Collection Scam

I wouls begin by filing a police report.

Then send a complaint to the CFPB, who may be looking into complaints against them from others.

Message 2 of 4
tufa4311
Established Contributor

I've also dealt with this by a different fake debt collector trying to collect on a non-existant debt.

Report the call. Contact the FTC and your state Attorney General's office with information about suspicious callers. Many states have their own debt collection laws in addition to the federal FDCPA. Your Attorney General's office can help you determine your rights under your state's law.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0258-fake-debt-collectors

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 3 of 4
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Debt collectors sure are getting agressive with contacting family members. I recently had a couple call me in southern AZ regarding collections against my sister in central Ohio. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a legitmate collections, she's had bad credit and unpaid bills her whole life, but I'm sure as hell not going to help them. Typical conversation: "Is this Mary XXX" Me: Do I sound like someone named 'Mary'? (I have a pretty deep voice) "Well, who is this?" Me: You called me, you don't know who you're calling? "Is this Mary XXX's brother Dave?" Me: Who the hell wants to know?. "(Sigh) I told you, this is Joe from Slimeball Collections!" Me: Oh! Are you calling regarding a collections action against me? "No. I'm calling regarding to a collections against Mary XXX". Me: Well, then why in the hell are you calling me?  "(Sigh) We're trying to get in touch with Mary" Me: Well, there's no one named Mary here. "Do you know how we can reach Mary?" Me: Yes, you can probably get her on her telephone. "Do you have her phone number?"?" Me: Yes "Well, what is Marty's phone number?" Me: Why the hell should I tell you? "(Sigh) Because we're trying to reach her regarding a collections". Me: Well, that's your problem, not mine - don't ever call me again. Hang up. They give up pretty fast.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.