cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Collector implying to be a Law Office??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Collector implying to be a Law Office??

Hello. I need some help here. We recently moved to a different state and i have started receiving calls from a company called Hoffman,Weinburg and Obrien.  When i entered the numbers on Google, it pulled up a pretty long list of consumers with complaints about this company. They have been calling my in laws for over a month and now have begun to phone my family. They refuse to give any information of what is supposed to be owed. We have never recieved anything in the mail from these people. However they say they have a summons ready to be issued from my county sheriff . I have no recent baddies, 1 premier charge off from 2002 and a couple of medicals on my report.  Please Advise.  Thank you!Smiley Sad

Message Edited by rustyfan67 on 04-11-2008 09:58 PM

Message Edited by rustyfan67 on 04-11-2008 10:06 PM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt Collector implying to be a Law Office??

The are required by law to send written notice within 5 days of the initial communication.

They are calling for you I take it.........and are asking you to pay but not giving you any information regarding the debt?

What is SOL in your state? And the state you moved from?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think its 3 yrs. We moved from Missouri to Arkansas.We lived in Missouri 16yrs.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fellow Missourian here....can spit across into Arkansas almost........get hit from the floods?

Medical is usually considered written and CC open.

The OC/CA can sue based on either SOL, Missouri's or Arkansas'.

Without really knowing what the debt is for sure, since they won't give you any information, it's hard to know SOL and if you are still within SOL.

I assume they are asking you to pay when they call......is the amount they are asking for close to any delinquent account you are aware of?

I'd stop talking to them on the phone, tell them you don't discuss financial matters over the phone to please send all communications via mail  and tell your in laws to tell them not to call no more. If they do, they are in violation.

They say they have summons prepared already.....that would mean they've already filed in court...you can access Missouri court cases online -

Check it out.

I'd send a DV CMRRR.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.