cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Management Plans (DMP's) - do they hurt your FICO score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Management Plans (DMP's) - do they hurt your FICO score?

I have read Debt Management Plans hurt your FICO score, is this true?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Debt Management Plans (DMP's) - do they hurt your FICO score?

DMP's, properly managed, do not hurt your scores:

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/WhatsNotInYourScore.aspx

You do need to watch very carefully to make sure that they are paying your creditors before the due date. We've had several members here come out with worse scores (although all debt was repaid), due to the CMP consistently paying bills several days late.

Lenders are another story. Many lenders regard DMP's as credit killers. To me, they shouldn't be so harsh, because lenders actually get repaid with a DMP, as opposed to charge-offs and the slimy "negotiator" programs.

This is probably where the confusion comes from. What doesn't affect your scores may affect lenders' attitudes, and vice versa.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

Since DMP, I was able to get a prime Visa card (National City) and the best autoloan rate my CU had to offer.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is a good place to go to for an advicate for my GI-NORMOUS  Private SL from Sallie Mae??We may have to walkaway from them (we REALLY dont want to !), they are just too large. Anyone!!
Message 4 of 5
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Where is a good place to go to for an advicate for my GI-NORMOUS Private SL from Sallie Mae??We may have to walkaway from them (we REALLY dont want to !), they are just too large. Anyone!!

I suggest you repost with details in the Student Loans forum, one of the regulars there has worked for Student Loan and Financial Aid offices. Unfortunately, due to some very effective lobbying by the student loan industry the same laws that make it nearly impossible to avoid paying Federal Student loans ALSO apply to most private student loans. See this NY Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/business/24loans.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.