Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Management and Loan options

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Management and Loan options

Wow, who knew there was so much to this Smiley Surprised  I am a newbie to all of this as I recently got married and now am looking to buy a house.  My questions revolve around outstanding debts and differences in my three credit scores.  Also I apologize now for the long windedness of this.

First off I have been enrolled in a Debt Management Program for several years and have 5 months worth of payments left.  Due to the high possibility of having to move out of our current rental I am thinking it may be a good idea to have some extra "disposable" income each month.  The only way I can come up with this is to get a secured or signature loan with my Credit Union and have the DMP pay off the $5k that is left on my cards with that money.  I have talked with my DMP and they said this is possible as I have paid off the BofA and Chase cards.  I guess they, BofA and Chase, watch for new credit inquiries and re-adjust their lowered rates back up if they see any.  Getting a loan will lower my monthly debt payments approx $700, based on a 18 month loan.  The plan would be to pay off the loan in 5 months if we don't need the extra money or pay it off as soon as possible if we do need extra money.  How bad of an idea is this? I have read that getting a loan will lower the scores a bit and since we are hoping to get a home loan after the $5k is paid off I am wary of it.

The other concern is the differences in my scores.  As of 3/28 my scores are TU-791 EQ-715 EXP-776.  I realize that these score are good, but the 76 point difference confuses me. I have looked at all three and found that TU reports no late payments, EQ reports two (Nov and Dec 2003) and EXP reports three (Nov, Nov and Dec 2003) as well.  These payments were in the 0-30 day range.  These are the only differences that I can find across the three companies.  Does EQ rely on payment history more heavily than EXP?  Is there anything I can do to get the EQ score closer to the other two?  

Thanks for the help on this and thanks for having all this great information out there for people to look at!!!
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.