Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Validation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt Validation

What is considered proper debt validation?? I sent a letter to an agency/attorney asking for my Sears to be validated and they sent bacy 1 full year of printouts of statements/payments. Is this proper validation or can I request more proof??? Please help. They are now threatening to sue. SOL is not up either. Advice Please
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debt Validation

Jennifer5 wrote:
What is considered proper debt validation?? I sent a letter to an agency/attorney asking for my Sears to be validated and they sent bacy 1 full year of printouts of statements/payments. Is this proper validation or can I request more proof??? Please help. They are now threatening to sue. SOL is not up either. Advice Please

I assume this is your account? This is now a validated debt from what your saying. How old is the collection and what is owed?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Proper debt validation" is in the eye of the beholder, and in this case likely the judge would do the beholding.

Law only requires them to validate, but it doesn't stipulate what is proper validation. That's up to the courts through caselaw to establish.

In a nutshell, proper validation is going to vary from one federal district and circuit to the next.

Since they've responded, you now have to consider a couple of things.

Is what they've sent me accurate?
Is the amount of the debt what they claim it to be?
Have they fabricated anything?
Was I the primary or joint account holder or card holder, or merely an AU?
Is the CA required to be licensed in this state, and if so are they?
Do lawyers get a pass on licensing in your state?

Also, is it truly a lawyer?
http://www.ishereallyalawyer.com/

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 08-06-2007 12:36 AM
Message 3 of 4
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Noah, the OP has vanished!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.