Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt validation letter responses?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt validation letter responses?

I sent out a bunch of debt validation letters so far I have only received back one validation, now I am in the process of sending PFD letter to the one I received, but I have also received a few phone calls from some of the collection agencies that I sent the DV too wanting to discuss the debt.  I have not returned the calls and I'm wondering whether or not I should.  I am under the impression, that until they can validate the debt I shouldn't speak to them.  What is the correct answer?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Debt validation letter responses?

Never talk to a CA over the phone....Why? There are several reasons.You may end up saying something you didn't mean to say that can now be used against you. You may also agree to something you didn't mean to agree to. CAs can have the tendency to ruffle feathers to get you to say what you don't mean. Also if you get a verbal agreement over the phone for something like a PFD, what is stopping them from breaking their commitment? Nothing. We always stress to get everything in writing.

Depending on the situation, they may be in violation of the FDCPA for contacting you for collections prior to their DV response. IMO, it would depend on whether or not you were notified about this debt prior to sending your DVs.

Message Edited by llecs on 02-15-2008 03:36 AM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.