Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decisions, decisions...

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Decisions, decisions...

Forgive me if I miss something, I'm going to try to compress several long stories to ask for YOUR opinion...aren't YOU important!

Wifey and I bought a home in November.  Our "out of pocket" was much, MUCH less than we expected.  Now we are in the home and have more dollars in the bank than we expected.

I've been looking for a particular pick up truck for a very, very long time.  It's relatively inexpensive...$1,500 to $3000 or so.  Found one on Craigslist, asked for some photos and believe this may be the truck I've been looking for.

...but now I don't want to spend the dollars...yes, I have them, yes, we can spare them, yes I want the truck...but I'm somehow hesitant to part with the cash.

Spoke to my sister about this...she suggested a small signature loan from my CU...say a $3k loan with a $100 monthly payment or so...  I'll confess I hadn't thought of that.

No, I don't NEED the truck...I've got one...just not the one I want.

Your thoughts?

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Chris679
Established Contributor

Re: Decisions, decisions...

Why pay interest if you have the cash? If something came up that you need the money for you could get the same loan then and be no worse off really.
Message 2 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Forgive me if I miss something, I'm going to try to compress several long stories to ask for YOUR opinion...aren't YOU important!

Wifey and I bought a home in November.  Our "out of pocket" was much, MUCH less than we expected.  Now we are in the home and have more dollars in the bank than we expected.

I've been looking for a particular pick up truck for a very, very long time.  It's relatively inexpensive...$1,500 to $3000 or so.  Found one on Craigslist, asked for some photos and believe this may be the truck I've been looking for.

...but now I don't want to spend the dollars...yes, I have them, yes, we can spare them, yes I want the truck...but I'm somehow hesitant to part with the cash.

Spoke to my sister about this...she suggested a small signature loan from my CU...say a $3k loan with a $100 monthly payment or so...  I'll confess I hadn't thought of that.

No, I don't NEED the truck...I've got one...just not the one I want.

Your thoughts?

Hi my friend,

I want a new vacation home in the Caribbean on the beach and under 5000 sq.ft of air. w/ olympic pool

However how much will I use it living in the states and can I enrich my life better by saving that money and putting it to use elsewhere.

You see where I'm going with this?

Because we talk I know you did a lot of work in the home before you moved in and still have more to do.

So my question is why spend the money or take out a loan on a truck that you won't drive all the time because you have one already and I do understand how we're about our cars..It's a man thing in most cases Lol

A truck you could get later IMHO 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 12
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Valid points, both.  Thank you.

MJ, ...but I really waaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnt it...  Smiley Tongue

Don't know if this affects your thoughts or not, but I'll add it anyway...current truck will be either passed on to my son or sold...I certainly don't need two of them.

I'm being very, VERY particular about model year, condition, trim package, drive train etc...Ford did not build exactly what I want as a stock truck...someone had to order exactly what I want...and while there ARE others out there, they are awfully hard to find.

Message 4 of 12
Chris679
Established Contributor

If you are looking for permission to buy the truck maybe ask your wife ?
Message 5 of 12
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Wifey is fine with it...it's ME that doesn't want to spend the cash...

...I never said I was smart...

Still trying to figure this one out...

Message 6 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

What are your priorities?  If you want to save money then paying interest probably isn't the best option.  If you want to build credit the loan can help.  If you want to build your safety net then purchasing the truck probably isn't the best option.  It really all depends on what you're looking to do.  As for the purchase itself that's a decision that you have to make for yourself.

What makes you hesitant about spending the cash?  Feedback is great and all but your specific situation and priorities play a major role in this.  If you're asking "What would you do?" it sounds like I'm the wrong person to ask as I own 3 vehicles and the least expensive is a number of times more than what you're considering.  My decision fits my situation and priorities but it probably doesn't apply to you.

Message 7 of 12
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

Craigslist scares me so you know I won't be giving someone my hard earned cash. GL with your decision.
My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 8 of 12
Reoxys
Established Member

@tcbofade wrote:

Your thoughts?

When in doubt - Don't.

Last App: November 12, 2013 - Wally World Discover. No more apps until my albatross (student debt) is gone
Message 9 of 12
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Reoxys wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

Your thoughts?

When in doubt - Don't.

Thank you.  THAT was the logic I needed.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.