Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Student Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Default Student Loan

I defaulted on my student loan. Currently my credit score is 484. If I go through the rehabilitation program, it seems like they will take it off my credit report. Anyone had this happen? I am going through Texas Guaranteed. Any idea how many points my score should go up?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Default Student Loan

It will depend on you and how you pay back the loan. Usually they will update the account and remove the baddies if you have paid on time for at least 12 months then your score will increase.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

they will remove the default but I have heard in here that the "lates" will not be removed
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

100% correct.

Get it out of default!!!! The lates hurt much less than a defaulted loan.

motoracer wrote:
they will remove the default but I have heard in here that the "lates" will not be removed

Message 4 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

bluerory wrote:
I defaulted on my student loan. Currently my credit score is 484. If I go through the rehabilitation program, it seems like they will take it off my credit report. Anyone had this happen? I am going through Texas Guaranteed. Any idea how many points my score should go up?

Anything can be deleted from your CRs but a default SL is HIGHLY unlikely.  Even if paid, I have never heard of a GW being effective.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

i was in your same boat a while back. definitely do the rehab, and make sure that you sign off on a written rehabilitation agreement and KEEP A COPY!! the default status came off of my reports within a month of completing the rehab. bad thing is that the late payments with the OC will not delete unless you are able to GW them, which is extremely unlikely, as fused stated. or you can do like i did and DV them and they disappeared and have never come back. i believe i got lucky with the DV, because sallie mae is a wretched bit**!
Message 6 of 12
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

I would sell my first born before defaulting on my student loans. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 12
jenkins
Frequent Contributor

I had one of my lenders remove the lates after i refinanced i just called and talked to someone there and she hooked it up nicely my score jumped from 484 to 541

Starting Score: 643
Current Score: 657
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

lemme tell you...it was miserable! i got this letter saying they were going to attach my wages. they also included a copy of an admin order that i thought they sent to my employer....however, it was just a prelude of what they planned to do. of course i got this stuff on a friday afternoon and had to fret over it all weekend, until i found out on monday that they had not sent it to my boss. i spent a miserable year paying 800 bucks a month to rehab the bastards, and i was making 40 grand less than what i make now. the only good that came out of it was that i got to forbear them for two years after they came out of default and i also got a big ole irs interest deduction b/c all of the rehab payments went to interest for some reason or another. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT DEFAULT ON YOUR STUDENT LOANS!!! THERE IS NO SOL!!!!!!
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

where those original loans from sallie mae? if they were when you refinanced them with a private lender did the lates from sallie mae get deleted as well?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.