Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting an account that never officially opened

tag
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

Deleting an account that never officially opened

Okay so a year ago I applied kohls account received 7-10 assumed I was denied read the letter verification issues didn't recon. Well a year an account and limit pop up as just closed reported ok for a year. My issue is this affects my aaoa of accounts I call kohls capital one guy gets an attitude saying there's a zero balance I should worry. Well I deleted tl via dispute with equifax I never had an account officially. Should I do this with the other two? If I get it deleted it should help my aaoa right considering open for a year. Also I vs from 3 or 4 years ago closed but reporting as open on one report should I dispute that its closed? Or will tl get deleted.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Deleting an account that never officially opened

First issue is that if was never opened, then you should probably get it removed regardless of FICO impacts, as their are legal issues as to whether you even have an enforceable account agreement.

Second issue as to only the FICO impact, there are more scoring categories involved than simply AAoA.  It may be giving you multiple revolving, helping mix of credit.  With zero balance, the CL is helping your overall % util and giving you one account always reporting no balance.  How high is the CL?  Hard to say the precise overall impact.

As for the account that is still reporting as open, same deal with regard to scoring of util, as a closed account with $0 balance would no longer be included.

Additionally, the CRAs will use the date closed to do their arbitrary account deletion thing at approx ten years from date closed.  As the account ages, it wont get zapped at approx ten years if it still has a open status

Message 2 of 6
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

It I'd closed but showed open for one year so I am going to call the other transunion & experian since I had other investigations recently. Or should I wait a few months? I don't want to be considered a serial disputer.

I'm going to go through and look at any that are reporting open that are in fact closed.

I have 10 revolving accounts my score is low due 2 30 day lates 1 60 on one tl all recent. Otherwise I'd be in 720 + Its funny to see there are real.inaccuracies.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would send a direct dispute to the creditor, who is the furnisher of the info.

No need to involve the CRA.  They have no independent info bearing on the legitimacy of the actual account, and a dispute thru the CRA might muck up the forwarding of your supporting documentation and arguments to the creditor via use of their e-OSCAR process.

Message 4 of 6
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

How do I do this? I called and they were saying why do you care it's 0 balance refused to transfer me to supervisor etc

Message 5 of 6
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

I did dispute on equifax deleted and its not on exp oddly so I have sent in the dispute the kohls csr was rude probably not in America and refused to help me just kept saying there's a zero balance account is closed. Maybe if I could get another number or do I just send a certified letter to address on my credit report.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.