Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell won't lower interest rate!

tag
rizeninme
New Contributor

Dell won't lower interest rate!

Anyone have any experience getting Dell to lower their interest rate? This is what happened: Two years ago we bought a computer at 10% interest. I set the payments up to be deducted from my bank account and forgot about it. They added "finance" charges sometime during the second month which changed my payment by $2.00. So my second payment was $2.00 short which they counted as a late payment (I had no idea until they actually called me about owing $2.00) even though I paid it immediately, and it wasn't even 30 days late, they jacked our interest rate up to 30%!!!!! No amount of begging or pleading worked to override this, and believe you me, I tried. Now, two years later with a perfect payment history, they refuse to budge on the interest. We were told that if we continue making our payments on time and pay more than the minimum amount that they could consider it in six months. But when we pointed out that we DO pay on time and more than the minimum, and asked how much MORE than the minimum we should be paying, he could not come up with an amount. Grrrr.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dell won't lower interest rate!

Lesson learned? I was jacked to 29.99%. I was never late. I BT $2100 @ 1.99% for life with Cap1 cc.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went on DMP and Dell wouldn't work with the company.
I don't know if you will be able to get them to lower your interest rate.
I know people have opinions on DMPs but most of my interest rates were at 24.9 percent with a few at 29.9 percent. Now all my accounts are between 6 and 14.9 and I am way ahead of where I would have been otherwise.
Good luck with the entire Dell thing. They may have gotten me one time to get  a computer from them, but the next time when I buy one with cash.. it won't be a dell.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next time don't do any type of cons. financing- use a CC. Can you qualify for a new card w/ a 0 Per. apr for at least a card   w/ a dec CL so you can bal transfer this thing and get the monkey off your back?

PS- just wondering- how did the 2.00 slip past you and why didn't your account just add the 2.00 to your auto withdraw?

For future ref. always set up auto withdrawals thru the orig co not some bill pay service so that if the payment goes up it just adjust automatically.

Please keep us posted.

Also try to escalate so if you can prove just the one mos problem you might be able to get the rate lowered again.

One final thing- try to not buy anything anymore that is not at 0 percent for so long - so you can pay it off before it goes to a rate.

PM me if you wish
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if you would get results using PFB? I hear that a lot of times people can get through to someone in management and get things done. This seems like the perfect next step under your circumstances. A smart manager would look at your account history and fix the problem. Good luck!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.