cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dental bill from 8 years ago is seeking payment and wants to send to collections. Am I still liable?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dental bill from 8 years ago is seeking payment and wants to send to collections. Am I still liable?

Hello,

I recently received a phone call from my old dentists office stating that I still owe them $500 for services rendered.  The last date of activity(last payment) was March of 2001.  They have stated that if I do not pay this debt they are going to send it to collections.  Is the dental office within the statute of limitations for collecting this debt?  And, if this account is sent to a collection agency will they be able to report it to the credit bureau's?

I have not made any statements to the dental office regarding any intention of repayment or negotiation of said debt.  I asked them to send me a statement in regards to this outstanding balance and that I will do some research and get back to them.  However, I am willing to negotiate with them and settle this account for a lesser amount.  

What are my options and what are the OC options?   Am I still liable for this debt?  Can this be reported on my CR from the CA? 

I live under Illinois SOL's.

TU credit score 681.

Thank you in advance for any advice and help.

Billy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Dental bill from 8 years ago is seeking payment and wants to send to collections. Am I still lia

Eight years ago and they are just now coming to you??

Are they hurting for money??

Have you seen them at all since that visit eight years ago??

It's past the dates (7-7.5 yrs since DOFD) to put it on the credit reports.

If you owe the money, I am sure they would settle.  You can try for 30%.  Something that old, maybe even 20%.

IF you do settle, get it in writing that they will settle and the debt is considered paid if n full.   

Message 2 of 9
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Dental bill from 8 years ago is seeking payment and wants to send to collections. Am I still lia

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I recently received a phone call from my old dentists office stating that I still owe them $500 for services rendered.  The last date of activity(last payment) was March of 2001.  They have stated that if I do not pay this debt they are going to send it to collections.  Is the dental office within the statute of limitations for collecting this debt?  And, if this account is sent to a collection agency will they be able to report it to the credit bureau's?

I have not made any statements to the dental office regarding any intention of repayment or negotiation of said debt.  I asked them to send me a statement in regards to this outstanding balance and that I will do some research and get back to them.  However, I am willing to negotiate with them and settle this account for a lesser amount.  

What are my options and what are the OC options?   Am I still liable for this debt?  Can this be reported on my CR from the CA? 

I live under Illinois SOL's.

TU credit score 681.

Hi Billy,

Don't get statute of limitations and whether or not something can show up on your credit reports confused with whether or not you still owe the money.

This may be past the SOL. That means they can't sue you.

This may be too old to show up on your credit report.

So...likely no lawsuit and no credit reporting....but...you still owe them the money.

Debt does not go away with time. Time affects how your creditor can collect and report. It does not affect whether or not you still owe the money.

Why not try to settle this with them? That way it can be gone forever.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you LynetteM and IOBA,

Thank you for your contribution and insight.  I never stated that I did not intend on paying.  After so many years I fully intend on settling for a lesser amount.  Apparantely they tried to contact me several times in regards to the outstanding balance years ago and they stated that they were not able to reach me for some reason.  I have not been to their office since December of 2000.

Nevertheless, if they are unwilling to settle with me and they send the balance to collections, does the collection agency have the right to put it on my credit report?  What  other measures can I take to prevent this if they do not want to settle?

Thank you,

Billy

[Just cleaned up some unusual formatting - Lel]

Message Edited by Lel on 09-26-2009 07:14 PM
Message 4 of 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

If the date of first default is past 7/7.5 years, they can NOT legally put it on your credit report.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. 

Billy

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

CRTP for medical is 7 years from date of service!  It can not be reported.

Even if you use regular SOL you would be past SOL which is 6 years from DOLA.

Even when past SOL and CRTP you will always owe the debt. IMO all medical should be paid and only to the OC.

Message 7 of 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

CRTP?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Reporting Time Period
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.