Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desperately Seeking Advice!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Desperately Seeking Advice!!!

My husband and I want to buy our first house but the fear of my recent credit blemishes are keeping me up at night. I need advice on how I should clean up my credit card history before applying for a mortgage. I'm embarassed because I have no idea what I should do.
Around November 2005 I was feeling consumed with my monthly debt obligations and decided to proactively contact a credit counseling service company. After doing some research, I found what I thought was a reputable company in FL. They said to put me on a plan I must select the CC that I wanted to close in order to pay the balance off without any further interest. I selected two of my 5 CC (AMEX $25K and BankFirst $1000) for the progarm. They figured out a montly payment of $550 for 48 months to get they paid and required one month's payment upfront (to be refunded when I completed the program) to set up my plan and contact my creditors. I agreed, signed the papers in Dec 05. In Jan 06 they said AMEX wanted a higher monthly payment, which I agreed to do. Then they came back in Feb 06 saying AMEX wouldn't take my account on a payment plan. I was then 3 months behind with them owing $6K as past due and couldn't pay. So that AMEX acct became a charge off of $26K (including appox $2K of interest) with my last payment in Nov 2005. My BankFirst has a 30 day, a 60 days and a 120 day late payment posting from Sept 06 - Dec 06.
Basically I want to know what to do to get apprvd for a decent mortgage. Should I dispute the AMEX with the credit reporting agencies then with AMEX? Should I try to send the AMEX collection agency a pay for delete letter (if so in what amount would they reasonbly agree to)? Try to send a goodwill letter to the BankFirst to remove some of the late payments from 06?
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
sl
Established Contributor

Re: Desperately Seeking Advice!!!

Welcome.  Can you tell me what your FICO scores are and what your hubby's are?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

About a month ago my FICOs were between 615 & 625. My hubby's are between 630 and 650.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mrs_B wrote:
My husband and I want to buy our first house but the fear of my recent credit blemishes are keeping me up at night. I need advice on how I should clean up my credit card history before applying for a mortgage. I'm embarassed because I have no idea what I should do.
Around November 2005 I was feeling consumed with my monthly debt obligations and decided to proactively contact a credit counseling service company. After doing some research, I found what I thought was a reputable company in FL. They said to put me on a plan I must select the CC that I wanted to close in order to pay the balance off without any further interest. I selected two of my 5 CC (AMEX $25K and BankFirst $1000) for the progarm. They figured out a montly payment of $550 for 48 months to get they paid and required one month's payment upfront (to be refunded when I completed the program) to set up my plan and contact my creditors. I agreed, signed the papers in Dec 05. In Jan 06 they said AMEX wanted a higher monthly payment, which I agreed to do. Then they came back in Feb 06 saying AMEX wouldn't take my account on a payment plan. I was then 3 months behind with them owing $6K as past due and couldn't pay. So that AMEX acct became a charge off of $26K (including appox $2K of interest) with my last payment in Nov 2005. My BankFirst has a 30 day, a 60 days and a 120 day late payment posting from Sept 06 - Dec 06.
Basically I want to know what to do to get apprvd for a decent mortgage. Should I dispute the AMEX with the credit reporting agencies then with AMEX? Should I try to send the AMEX collection agency a pay for delete letter (if so in what amount would they reasonbly agree to)? Try to send a goodwill letter to the BankFirst to remove some of the late payments from 06?
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

There are laws that these agencies must follow....contact your AGs office and ask to talk to a person that handles these cases. ALSO call the FTC and report them!!

Write a letter to AMEX and explain what has happened. In the letter tell them that you have contacted AG & FTC.  They might work with you.

Try working with the OC  before doing anything with a CA.....AGs office might advise you.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.