Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining DOFD for medical bill

tag
wrw0010
New Contributor

Determining DOFD for medical bill

I have a collection for a medical bill from over 6 years ago popping up on my credit report. After researching it a bit it seems the doctors office didn't file timely with the insurance company so the first bill for this didn't go out for almost 2 years. By that time, I had moved and I never received a bill and frankly assumed that insurance had covered it all.

If the DOFD is 90 days from when the services were rendered, then reporting time is nearly up. If it is not until this was turned over to the CA, I have several years left.

When is DOFD?

P.S. I am going to pay this anyway as it is mine but want to know how quick I can knock it off my report.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
wrw0010
New Contributor

Re: Determining DOFD for medical bill

Anyone?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrw0010 wrote:
I have a collection for a medical bill from over 6 years ago popping up on my credit report. After researching it a bit it seems the doctors office didn't file timely with the insurance company so the first bill for this didn't go out for almost 2 years. By that time, I had moved and I never received a bill and frankly assumed that insurance had covered it all.

If the DOFD is 90 days from when the services were rendered, then reporting time is nearly up. If it is not until this was turned over to the CA, I have several years left.

When is DOFD?

P.S. I am going to pay this anyway as it is mine but want to know how quick I can knock it off my report.

CRTP is 7-7.5 years     SOL is state statue for law suits. What is your SOL? 

If past SOL   DV the CA      CMRRR

make changes where needed   add state name in 2 places__________

August 26, 2007

Jones Collection Agency
222 1st Street
Noplace, FL33333

Re:      Account #:                   5555555
            Original Creditor:         Smith & Smith Corp
Dear Sir or Madam:
This letter hereby notifies you that the validity of this debt is in dispute. In an attempt to validate this debt, I am requesting evidence of this debt, specifically the alleged contract or other instrument bearing my signature, as well as proof of your authority in this matter. Absent such substantiation, under federal and state law you must correct any erroneous reporting to any and all credit reporting agencies
In accordance with Section 809 of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act and corresponding case law, please provide me, in writing, the following information:
  1. A copy of the alleged original contract or other instrument bearing my signature
  2. Complete account history, including, all statements, records of all activity, payments, collection attempts, and any charges added for collection activity; In short, any and all documentation pertaining to this account
  3. Evidence of your authorization under 15 USC 1692(e) and 15 USC 1692(f) in this alleged matter
  4. Evidence that your company is registered as a consumer collection agency in the State Of _________________
Additionally, until full validation is provided, all representatives of your company, or any affiliated company, must immediately cease & desist all attempts to collect the aforementioned debt. Failure of your company to comply with this request will be a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and will directly result in a complaint filed with the Federal Trade Commission and the State Of ________________Attorney General's office. Please be advised, should this request be violated, I will pursue all criminal and civil claims, including any and all punitive damages, allowable by federal and state law against your company.
Failure to respond, in writing, and in a timely manner, will serve as a waiver to any and all of your claims in this matter and that this matter is permanently closed. Please provide the requested information or correct your records and immediately request the removal of this invalid debt from all sources to which you may have reported.

For the purposes of 15 USC 1692 et seq., this Notice has the same effect as a dispute to the validity of the alleged debt and a dispute to the validity of your claims. This Notice is an attempt to correct your records, and any information received from you will be retained should further action become necessary. This is a request for information only, and is not a statement, election, or waiver of status.
I look forward to your timely response.
Best regards,
Jane Doe
DO NOT SIGN NAME      JUST TYPE IT

Message 3 of 10
wrw0010
New Contributor

I'm not worried about SOL. I've already DVed and they provided proper validation. Tried PFD to no avail. I am going to pay the account (it's only $135).

What I am wondering is what point is considered the DOFD for reporting purposes? If it is date of services rendered or sometime close after, the 7 year reporting period is almost up. If it is some other time (like date of first bill), it could be a couple of years later.

Message Edited by wrw0010 on 09-21-2007 11:16 AM

As I understand it, state does not matter with regards to reporting but only collection actions. Is that correct?

I live in AL

Message Edited by wrw0010 on 09-21-2007 11:18 AM
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrw0010 wrote:
I'm not worried about SOL. I've already DVed and they provided proper validation. Tried PFD to no avail. I am going to pay the account (it's only $135).

What I am wondering is what point is considered the DOFD for reporting purposes? If it is date of services rendered or sometime close after, the 7 year reporting period is almost up. If it is some other time (like date of first bill), it could be a couple of years later.

Message Edited by wrw0010 on 09-21-2007 11:16 AM

As I understand it, state does not matter with regards to reporting but only collection actions. Is that correct?

I live in AL

Message Edited by wrw0010 on 09-21-2007 11:18 AM

SOL: time limited when a creditor can file a lawsuit.
IF showing on CR and you pay without PFD it can stay on CR as paid.......it should drop at the original DOFD.

Im not sure when DOFD would be BUT it can not be later then 120 days from first missed payment. IN this case  I would take date of service & count 120 days.....dofd might be less.

The OC must supply DOFD not a CA.  IF OC does not report to CRA within 90 days they can not report.

You need to check with your state as to medical SOL....most states have NO SOL for Hospital bills but other medical bills have SOL.

After paying it can drop you scores as it will be reported as new report date.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the DOFD is the date of service unless you were expected to pay on that day.  Aren't docs' bills usually net 30 days?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that here there are signs in all dr offices that say...payment due at time of service.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

HappyDays wrote:
I know that here there are signs in all dr offices that say...payment due at time of service.

True, that's what they expect ... but then how do people end up with outstanding medical bills? How did they get out of the doc's office without paying? It sounds like (correct me if I'm wrong) OP's bill was from a doc, not a hospital or ER where they track you down later ...
Message 8 of 10
wrw0010
New Contributor

This was just a bill that the doctors office thought my insurance would pay. When the insurance didn't, they billed me. The problem is that the insurance company took 2 years to deny the claim during which time I had moved to a new city and the forwarding with USPS was less than stellar (I maybe received 4 items forwarded). The time between DOS and when the denial came from the insurance company is what I'm concerned about. If the DOFD is not until the insurance denied the claim, I've got a while longer to wait.

Message Edited by wrw0010 on 09-25-2007 01:06 PM

Message Edited by wrw0010 on 09-25-2007 01:07 PM
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

what dates did the C give you.......date of service???? I do not think that the Dr would wait for 2 years to hear from ins. before mailing a bill.  IF it were me I would call CRAs and ask what DOFD they are showing.

The date the CA gives you as DOS is very important!!!!!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.