cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did EX just increase the duration of hard inquiry?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did EX just increase the duration of hard inquiry?

It's more than 2 years and some inquiries were still on my report. Before filing dispute, went to their "Ask a Question" page and found this:

Specific types of information are shown on your Experian® credit report:

• All inquiries can remain on your credit report for 25 months after they are made
  • Delinquent payments will stay on your report for up to seven years
  • Collections can continue to be reported for seven years from the date of the first delinquency

Hard Inquiry lives longer by a month ! 

Anyone facing similar issues?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Did EX just increase the duration of hard inquiry?

The removal of inquiries is not required under any provision of the FCRA.  It is an admin determination at the discretion of the CRAs.

It has always been an approx number, and is not subject to dispute.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, the two years is generally practised guideline?

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes.

The general two-year period is based on the fact that the CRA is requried, if requested by a consumer, to provide a record of certain types of inquires (employment based) for up to two years after the date of the inquiry.

Thus, the CRAs will normally simply retain all inquiries for up to two years to ensure compliance with any such request.

Retaining for longer than 2 years is entirely at their discretion.

Inquiries are in the millions, and retention takes up a huge amount of database.  It is, after two years, primarily an internal housecleaing decision.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Posiedon.  Kudos to you for taking a breath and thinking before you reflexively went into Dispute Mode.

Here are some questions that pretty much everybody should ask before he or she immediately hits the dispute button:

Have I carefully thought this through?  Do I need some advice from someone in the Forum first?

Is the thing I want to dispute actually untrue as written?

Is it hurting me in any significant way?

If so, would this likely get solved if I just allowed time to fix it?  And if so, is there any reason I shouldn't wait?

Would I have better luck if I enlisted the creditor's help? 

The Dispute process is a great thing, but it is really there principally for people who have untrue and harmful stuff on their reports, and stuff that won't likely be corrected by just giving the process a little more time.

Message 5 of 8
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Yes, it is general. Remeber after one year an inquiry does not effect your credit score. Quite often mine have not fallen off at the 2 year birthday. However, they have always fallen off shortly there after. 

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 6 of 8
cuthatcard
Frequent Contributor

Just asked the same question in credit application forum before seeing this.

I have one on TU that turn 2 yrs old on December 6th, says it's scheduled to fall off in January of '17. !! 

FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Message 7 of 8
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

IME TU and EQ delete the INQs on the next day after an HP INQ turns two years.  Some SP INQs can drop off after a year or less.

EX runs a batch job the first weekend each month that deletes INQ over 2 years old.  It may have been the OPs INQs weren't quite considered old enough to be deleted last time the batch job ran.  Of course, EX can change their system at any time.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.