Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I do this right?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did I do this right?

Called Credit One today to have my Credit One platinum rewards card cancelled. I've had this card for almost a year and used it soley to lower the utilization on my credit cards. It's purpose has been fulfilled, and I requested that the account was closed.

They, of course, gave me a super difficult time. Begging me to stay. Literally offering me refunds on my annual fee from last year if I kept my account open. I was like "No, I'll pass but thank you." Finally, after about 10 minutes of them trying to get me to reconsider my decision, they closed my account at my request. He said I would get a letter/email confirmation, I also asked for the reference number for the phone call. 

Is there anything else that I should do?

This is my first time closing a credit card! I've been putting it off for about 2 weeks and figured I'd get it over with.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did I do this right?

I'm not understanding why or how you were using it to make your utilization larger on your credit cards?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

my wording was off a bit. I did it to make my available credit higher and therefore lower my utilization.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you did it right to me, just hold on to that reference # if in the next month or two it's still reporting open you can challenge it...

Message 4 of 6
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

Yep, yep. Smiley Happy Of course, always double check your reports in a month or so, but that is exactly all you need to do. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool, thank you guys! 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.