cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did my sister wake the sleeping bear? (Please advise)

tag
Goodcreditsesame
Valued Member

Did my sister wake the sleeping bear? (Please advise)

Hello,
Asking advice for my sister who called me in a panic last night. My sister has near 50k in private student loans from US bank, received an alert via CK that remarks were ‘removed’ from her loan (she never disputed it in the first place)
And it dropped her 723 credit score to 698. She has never paid a payment to them and the accounts were charged off with zero balance. DOFD WAS 5/2012. She lives in OH so the SOL for this loan is 5/2018. Just a mere 6
Months she was hiding out.

In the past, they were unwilling to work with her (she was still in school but PSLs don’t care about that) and wanted 600 a month of her 13k salary. She let it default. Throughout the years, she’s attempted to settle and a few times they’ve countered her offers. One time she attempted to settle for 6K, they accepted and the account was sold to another agency. This happened three times. The account would then be retracted back to US Bank, where in 2014 they finally charged it off.

Anywho, she’s finally finished with school and consolidated her federal loans last month. The consolidation was complete and now she receives this alert that remarks were removed from the accounts. She is freaking out as she did not want to ‘wake the bear’ and be sued. On one hand, I am assuming the consolidation is what ‘woke the bear’ but I read today on a credit building Facebook group that others have had the same alert.

What should she do? My advice was to chill out and relax and don’t
Make ANY changes, apps, etc and to opt out.

Thoughts?

Thank you if you got this far
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did my sister wake the sleeping bear? (Please advise)

There are other posts today about CK removing remarks from every account.  It sounds like a CK glitch.  It had nothing to do with her score drop (I bet her utilization went up or she has a new account post).

I would almost 95% guarantee it's a CK glitch.  Remarks don't affect scoring.

If she's worried, have her order her free annual reports as soon as she can.

Message 2 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I noticed that on CK too, alot of remarks removed. Weird.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too noticed some weird remarks being updated as removed on CK over the weekend.  Can I purchase a copy of my credit report from annualcredit.com?  I got my free copies several months ago, but since then, some changes happened.  I'm thinking of getting a new copy to double check if all updates are correct.  Thanks

Message 4 of 6
Goodcreditsesame
Valued Member

Thank you all.

An update: she was able to call TU and confirm that this was a credit karma glitch. Nothing changed on her report.
Message 5 of 6
rprisco
Regular Contributor

I had same issue a few weeks back, woke to a bunch of CK alerts regarding TU, CK score dropped 35pts! The comments on a collection were removed. Anyway, I checked wallet hub and cap1 credit wise and same score drop. Pulled Fico and that dropped 3 points. I called TU and immediately redisputed the collection, no effect, said already disputed and verified.
So it's not just CK imo.
Current Scores as of 8/18/17 all FICO 8 EQ: 695 EX: 673 *fico2 699 TU:645 bio has more.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.