cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Transrisk and Vantage?

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Difference between Transrisk and Vantage?

Been a Credit Karma subscriber for a long time and have watched the ebbs and flows of my two scores compared to the myfico TU for some time now. 

Has anyone ever been able to infer or learn the difference in how factors influence the scores? Is there even an answer?

Sometimes, one will slighlty drop while the other goes up and vice versa. Eventually, they both follow the same upward/downward trend but they can vary along the way. Why would: ...one jump a lot and the other a little or not at all? ...they go in opposite directions temporarily? etc....

Does one tend to focus on favoring one apsect of credit reports over the other? Any clarity would be helpful. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Difference between Transrisk and Vantage?

Big difference. TransRisk is a score developed by TU that no lender I know of is using it.

VantageScore is jointly developed by EX, EQ, and TU as an alternative to FICO scoring model. It is modeled after FICO with greater emphasis on recent activity (benefits those with thin file). Chase is one of the lender that uses VantageScore.

Message 2 of 9
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

I know all that. I am talking about the scoring methods view the same credit report. 

Example: One favors longer credit history and puts less negativity on higher utiization while the other favors higher AAoA and more heavily penalizes new accounts in the short run. 

Again, hypothetical. But that's the kind of answer I was looking for.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 3 of 9
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Vantage also changes dramatically with cc balance increases. It favors very low utilizations. Also +1 to the fact it weighs heavily negative on multiple new acccounts in a short time.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Vantage Score was terrible  (an F) when I was nearly maxed out on my credit cards but when I got near a zero balance on all my cards it went to an A.  The F Score seemed unfair because I had a long history of paying my cards always on time and having used credit for 22 years and having a successful auto loan and mortgage on my recent record.  Getting an F Vantage Score seemed unfair for someone with such a long successful use of credit, they had too much emphasis on balances and utilization.

VANTAGE is junk in my opinion.

Message 5 of 9
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Dingler,

Yeah. I agree. I have noticed those huge swings in my vantage score with respect to ultilizations but not on my concurrent transrisk score. I would presume or roughly infer that the transrisk score's ebbs and flows more closely follow the true FICO movement of the same information.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having recently read through Credit Karma's details on my score, I mentally noted the following points:

1) They count all hard pulls across the full 2 year history.  No mention if they age or if they group "rate shopping"  pulls.  FICO only uses 1 year and the pulls age.

2) The score increases with number of accounts (open and closed).  They mentioned mix of credit lines, but did not say how that influences their score.  The increase with number of accounts was much higher than I would expect with FICO.

There were probably other obvious differences, but these were the ones I mentally noted.

Message 7 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

Dingler,

Yeah. I agree. I have noticed those huge swings in my vantage score with respect to ultilizations but not on my concurrent transrisk score. I would presume or roughly infer that the transrisk score's ebbs and flows more closely follow the true FICO movement of the same information.

I would not make this assumption.  If that's the case for you right now, it's peculiar to your report.  I can attest to wild swings in my Transrisk score where my FICO scores did not move.  I think there are many people that have the same experience.

I doubt that anyone can provide you much more granularity about how Transrisk and Vantage work.  I could be wrong, but there hasn't been nearly the same amount of discussion over them and you're going to get a lot of anecdote.  But, for what it's worth, I can say that in my experience, Vantage seems to give you a break after late payments age past 4 years.  My lates just recently aged past that mark, and my Vantage is now at 984.  Again, I don't really know why it shot up, but that's the most significant change I can think of.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Unlike FICO they do not factor in AAoA of closed accounts.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.