Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Different scores?

I am still new to credit score reporting.  Now, I see I have three different scores : Fico, Credit Karma and through amex and cap one.  Is Fico the most reliable?  Or is the score from amex/cap one better when assesing an approval denial for a new credit card?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Different scores?

FICO scores are generally the standard industry wide - for the most part. Banks/Lenders often utilize the FICO score in addition to their own internal risk scoring algorithm, or the latter independently. I believe AMEX actually uses your true FICO score. Credit Karma uses what we refer to as 'FAKO' scores, which is based on the Vantage scoring model. It's not near as commonly used, and serves more as a rough estimate of where your credit profile lies. Sometimes it can be accurate, and sometimes it can be far off, but I'd like to think of it as more of an avergage. There are three credit reporting bureaus - Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. Different lenders will use different bureau reports, and frequently the report that gets pulled by them will be based on your regional location. This forum is a goldmine for information so please use it to your advantage!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info.  Which is a better company chase or amex?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Better being subjective...Amex and Discover tie for best customer satisfaction. Personally I like Amex.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

How accurate is the credit score from the credit score tracker of capital one ?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How accurate is the credit score from the credit score tracker of capital one ?

Pure garbage.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the credit score reported from amex reliable ?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. It's a Fico 8 based on Experian data.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help.

Message 9 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Don't go by "most reliable" and always consider the specific scoring model & CRA and the relevance of the model/CRA combo to a given creditor.  Creditors do not al use the same scoring model or CRA.  FICO 8 is most commonly used for credit cards but it is not the only model used.

Credit Karma provides TU and EQ VantageScore 3.0.  Those scores are relevant to creditors that use a TU or EQ VantageScore 3.0

AmEX provides an Experian FICO 8.  It is not relevant to a creditor that uses a different model and/or CRA.

Capital One provides a TransUnion New Account score.  No creditor uses that score.

You can reference the Credit Pulls Database, easily found via Google, if you want to see what a given creditor tends to pull but that can vary by region which is why the CPD tracks location as well as score and CRA.

Do not attempt to use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by a different model.  All scores are accurate but only for their own models.

@Anonymous wrote:

Which is a better company chase or amex?

First off, better is always highly subjective, regardless of topic.  Second. don't select a creditor and then try to justify a card from that creditor.  Sort out your needs/wants and use that to select specific products that suit you.

I find products from both as well as other creditors to be useful.  YMMV.

@Anonymous wrote:

Again, it's en EX FICO 8.  An EX FICO 8 is and EX FICO 8 regardless of source.  If a creditor uses an EX FICO 8 then they will pull that score.  If they use TU or EQ then the score will not be relevant to that creditor.  If they use a FICO model other than FICO 8 then it will not be relevant even if they use EX.  See also the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies for more info on the various FICO models used by creditors.

Consider relevance, not "relaibility".  If you want to know what score a creditor will pull for you then you need to know the model and CRA and go pull that specific score.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.