cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Loans Not Subject to FCRA???

tag
Jacyn

Direct Loans Not Subject to FCRA???

Hi! In response to my request that Direct Loans update information contained in my credit report, I received a letter from Direct Loans stating that they will not honor my request and that they are not subject to the FCRA because they are not a merchant. I'm no expert, but this doesn't seem right to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Direct Loans Not Subject to FCRA???

That's a student loan.  They have their own set of rules but still must report accurately, so I don't want to take that they said they are not subject to FCRA out of context.  GWs are hard to get if that is what you tried to do.  If info was reporting inaccurately, they must fix it.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 3
Jacyn

Re: Direct Loans Not Subject to FCRA???

Thanks for responding. No, I didn't send a GW. I disputed the accuracy of information provided to the CRAs. It just struck me as very strange that Direct Loans is so certain that they are not subject to the FCRA that they stated it in writing - twice!!!! I've disputed the account with Direct Loans as well as with the CRAs, yet Direct Loans continues to provide the disputed information without noting that the account is in dispute. For what it's worth, I filed a complaint with the FTC alleging DL's refusal to update information as well as their refusal to provide notice of the dispute. I don't think that an Intent To Sue letter will do much good since they don't think that the FCRA applies to them. I'm just at a loss for how to handle them.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.