cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct TV - Hard or Soft Credit Bureau Pull?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Direct TV - Hard or Soft Credit Bureau Pull?

@Anonymous wrote:

Wish they didn't but they do.  They used to have an option to let you pay for a year up front with no credit check but that has gone away.  They won't do a soft pull either, they do a hard pull and the rep said they report to the CRA's every 3 months.

Maybe they do it different in other areas of the US but I have had 3 reps say they hard pull your credit.

I don't want the hard pull so i won't be getting Direct TV.

That's some BS.  I would never consider using their service for this reason alone.  HP's are supposed to be used when one is requesting new credit.  Signing up for a new satellite service provider is not a request for new credit.  Can you imagine if everyone did this for all your bills?  Electric bill, garbage bill, water/sewer bill, car insurance, cell phone, tax bill, etc?  HP's for them all?  Ridiculous.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@afineteacher wrote:

Yes they hard pull. I applied online last year and then ended up speaking to someone the next day. Unfortunately I have two credit inquiries from them just to find out when they came out that I could not have it at my apartment complex.

Bummer. I don't want the hard pull so I guess I am stuck with Sudden Link for $325 per month.

Would have been nice if they removed one or both of the HP's if you couldn't have it at your complex.  

Oh lord ouch $325? Geez Smiley Surprised

Prime reason to cut the cord 

A HD tv 

A HD antenna 

Roku streaming player or equivalent manufacturer 

Remote antenna and player cost about $109-$129 as a bundle at BB

Netflix $12

HBO $12

Well you get the idea I hope

All with no credit check and far less than $325 per month

Why the HP most don't charge for current month usage you're charged for the upcoming month (prepaid) 

So while it sucks it is a form of credit extend to you and someone here stated a CSR said it reports to the CB's 

BS I've never seen cable/Dish/Direct provider report would be good if they did but then the bill would go up higher to offset those charges 

Now if you default you can bet they'll report which is another reason they probably HP to make sure if you don't pay they know who you are Lol

These are all excellent ideas. In actuality we don't watch much regular TV. We mostly use Amazon and Netflix, occasionally Hulu and we have about a 3000 DVD collection as well.  I like Suddenlink for the high speed Internet ($130.00 a month) but the rest of the stuff sucks.  We have no movie channels and not a lot of the other channels.  We also don't have the football package which is desired. I should get rid of Suddenlink.

Message 12 of 17
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this thread is about.  What does DirecTV provide that involves credit?  Aren't they like most providers that bill you monthly for your services, then you pay for the service?  I don't see how that involves credit, and if it doesn't involve a request for credit why would one be hit with a hard pull?

The hard pull is to find out if you are worthy of leasing their equipment. Thats the main reason. 

They are installing a dish and paying an installer plus leasing you the receivers and extras (genies, sling boxs or whatever). 

The value of the equipment can be over $1000 so they do credit checks. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit can be "checked" with a SP.  A HP isn't necessary.

I'm not suggesting that DTV shouldn't check credit... I'm just saying that if their customers aren't applying for new credit (they aren't) there's no reason to HP them.

Message 14 of 17
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Perhaps there is a difference in their policies due to the merger with AT&T.  I can only speak to the issue in a pre-merger situation, since I've had DIRECTV for a quite a few years.

When I established my account, it was a soft pull and was Experian.  

There have been no further pulls from them.  

They do not report on my credit reports at all.  There is no TL for DIRECTV on my reports.  

This is all similar to Verizon Wireless, my cell phone provider.  Credit check (SP) for credit worthiness, but no TL on credit reports.   

I'm sure they would report if one is 30 days or more late on payments; I have autopay set up, so that's not an issue and I always get a notice of payment received.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit can be "checked" with a SP.  A HP isn't necessary.

I'm not suggesting that DTV shouldn't check credit... I'm just saying that if their customers aren't applying for new credit (they aren't) there's no reason to HP them.

+1.  I think a soft pull would be quite acceptable or even if they wanted an upfront depost to cover the cost of the equipment.  After the mistakes I made applying for too much credit too soon, I value those hard pulls and will not be cavalier about them in the future.  I was fortunate in that I received the credit I applied for but I didn't realize the importance of hard pulls at the time.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thom02099 wrote:

Perhaps there is a difference in their policies due to the merger with AT&T.  I can only speak to the issue in a pre-merger situation, since I've had DIRECTV for a quite a few years.

When I established my account, it was a soft pull and was Experian.  

There have been no further pulls from them.  

They do not report on my credit reports at all.  There is no TL for DIRECTV on my reports.  

This is all similar to Verizon Wireless, my cell phone provider.  Credit check (SP) for credit worthiness, but no TL on credit reports.   

I'm sure they would report if one is 30 days or more late on payments; I have autopay set up, so that's not an issue and I always get a notice of payment received.

They can soft pull all day long and I won't care but I have to think long and hard when the hard pulls come into play at least right now.  Maybe as my file grows again and accounts age I will feel differently. I auto pay Sudden Link their enormous bill each month (no HP when I set it up) and will have to keep doing it for a while I suppose.  At least now whenever I sign up for anything that requires my SSN I always find out what they are doing with it before I give it to them.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.