Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct TV credit check - INQ or not

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Direct TV credit check - INQ or not

I decided to switch from UVerse Direct TV since they offer 11 Korean channels instead of 1 and the CSR wanted my SSN to do a credit check.  I asked which CRA they would check the they said EQ.  I just checked my TU and EQ scores here and neither one showed an INQ.  I would assume since I signed up for Direct TV about 50 minuets ago, that the INQ should have shown up.

I was surprised that not only there wasn't any INQs but my TU+? and EQ+3 (LOL 2 freaking more points I need) score.

I could they have done an INQ that didn't count FICO wise or some other check on my CR.  They could have checked EX but I asked and IMHO I would;'t have expected them to use EX.

Anyone have any experience with Direct TV credit checks?

I assume INQs show up on your CR right after they are done.  Its been 2 years since I applied for any new credit so I have nothing base this on.

I did give them a CC which they used to make a charge on for the DVR so I wonder if they just used that to check my credit by making an authroization for a a few months payments.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Direct TV credit check - INQ or not

I switched to Direct TV about a year ago and there is definitely a hard inquiry on my EQ report from them. I don't recall if it showed up the same day or when it came through on the monitoring service as I don't really pull every day and wasn't overly concerned about the inquiry at the time. But my experience with the CSR was the same as yours in that they informed me they would pull credit and then went on to establish service and collect the payment account information.

I'm not sure if a bad credit score would result in their refusing service on your account but I imagine it's possible. After all you are just renting their equipment and not really owning it.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 4
marty56
Super Contributor

I got an alert from TrueCredit that the INQ did show on my EQ report but my EQ credit report I just got today doesn't show it.

I even spoke with MyFICO CSR who told me they didn't see that INQ on my EQ or TU report.

I asked if they directly pulled current data from EQ from the report for my purchase and she yes.  I will check at the end of next month.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.