cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dirt bag collection agency tactics - any recourse after the fact?

tag
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Dirt bag collection agency tactics - any recourse after the fact?

From my experience, unfortunately the only leverage a consumer has is when they still 'owe' whatever it is they owe trying to be collected. Collection agencies will use every trick in the book up to and including false information such as threats of jail or coming to your workplace to harass you. Never fear, the law is on your side in this case. Get the name of the collection agency and report them to the BBB in their area (you can do this online if you don't want to fill out the form and use snail mail).

I had a similar situation with Portfolio Recovery. I kept a record of every conversation and correspondence I received or sent to them and handed it over to the complaint to the BBB in Norfolk, VA. I simply stated my position and what I thought was a fair and reasonable resolution to my dispute and Portfolio Recovery got very nasty with me. I persevered and within 60 days the collection agency ended up deleting every negative trade line in all 3 credit reports and sent me a letter telling me that they forfeit all rights to pursuing any more action on the disputed trade lines. It works.

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.