Senior Contributor
Noah_Bodie

Disabling Caller ID - Perhaps Soon To Be Illegal

CAs are the worst violators for disabling Caller ID or spoofing it.

A bill in the Senate might make that illegal.

Up to a $1 million fine for a single act, but there appears to be no individual right of suit against the violator.

Still, if it passes, and once it's law, if a CA calls and uses a spoofed phone number, take a photo and report 'em to the authorities.

"Well, Mister Jones, you've called me three times in the last week, and each time you've used a different phone number that doesn't appear to be valid. I tried to call the numbers displayed on my Caller ID unit and they weren't valid. It would seem you're illegally spoofing your phone number. I don't owe this debt that you claim I owe, so delete it from my credit reports and go away. Otherwise, I'm sending the photos I took of my Caller ID unit showing the bogus spoofed numbers you used along with the date and time of the call to my AG. I'll also send a brief but detailed complaint letter to my AG in which I will detail the times and dates you called. I'll let them sue you for a million dollars."

Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: Disabling Caller ID - Perhaps Soon To Be Illegal

Great news!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}