Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling Caller ID - Perhaps Soon To Be Illegal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disabling Caller ID - Perhaps Soon To Be Illegal

CAs are the worst violators for disabling Caller ID or spoofing it.

A bill in the Senate might make that illegal.

Up to a $1 million fine for a single act, but there appears to be no individual right of suit against the violator.

Still, if it passes, and once it's law, if a CA calls and uses a spoofed phone number, take a photo and report 'em to the authorities.

"Well, Mister Jones, you've called me three times in the last week, and each time you've used a different phone number that doesn't appear to be valid. I tried to call the numbers displayed on my Caller ID unit and they weren't valid. It would seem you're illegally spoofing your phone number. I don't owe this debt that you claim I owe, so delete it from my credit reports and go away. Otherwise, I'm sending the photos I took of my Caller ID unit showing the bogus spoofed numbers you used along with the date and time of the call to my AG. I'll also send a brief but detailed complaint letter to my AG in which I will detail the times and dates you called. I'll let them sue you for a million dollars."

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disabling Caller ID - Perhaps Soon To Be Illegal

Great news!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.