Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover is bringing a lawsuit to get balance paid

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover is bringing a lawsuit to get balance paid

I am in Washington State. I have not received any mail or have not been served. I called Discover today and they referred me to a lawyer that is handling the account now. He said I would have to wait 3 to 4 months until they charged off the account and then he could offer me a setttlement. I don't know if that is a good idea though.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

lopezifl wrote:
I am in Washington State. I have not received any mail or have not been served. I called Discover today and they referred me to a lawyer that is handling the account now.

Did you confirm he is a lawyer?

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The account hasn't even officially been CO'd?  Have you dealt with other CAs regarding this account before contact from the "lawyer"?  I don't understand why Discover wouldn't work with you regarding a settlement if the account isn't CO'd yet.  Definitely check and see if this is a real lawyer and not someone just trying to scare you into handing over a bunch of money. 
Message 13 of 14
Takunda1
Established Contributor

Discover sends their accounts to Wolpoff & Abramson, those are the people that do all the legal stuff. They sued me and got judgment coz I didn't go to court. If I were you I would escalate the issue at Discover card. As long as no legal proceedings have begun they can withdraw your account from the lawyer. My advice to you...Tell them you want to do a 60 month payment plan with 0% interest that is automatically debited from your account (more of reassurance) and hope they bite. If you don't your 11k is going to be 16K in 4 months, thats after all the fees they tag on .

Good luck
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.