Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute: Can I dispute a Hard inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute: Can I dispute a Hard inquiry

Let me start by saying I have been spending the better part of 2 years fixing my credit and doing a really good job. Everything off my report except for late payments which is keeping my score stagnant. 

So I went to the bank today (Chase) and after doing my banking I was told I was pre approved for the new Chase freedom unlimted. Great I want another credit card to build my credit further however I told the banker that I did not want to apply for the card knowing it would be a hard pull and me still thinking my score is to low to be approved. She asured me that I was pre approved and that means I will not be denied and that it only is a soft pull on my credit. After asking multiple times and her assuring me multiple times that it is a soft pull and I will be approved. I agreed and the banker clicked the button etc great automatically approved with a high credit limit few minutues later after paperwork etc I said thank you and walked out. A few minutes later I get an alert from CreditKarma, credit.com etc etc after checking all of them I see a hard pull and score drops a few points. 

So am I able to dispute just to get it of my report or not or is it just pointless I only ask because I asked more then a dozen times if this would happpen and the banker assured me NO. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute: Can I dispute a Hard inquiry

@Anonymous wrote:

Let me start by saying I have been spending the better part of 2 years fixing my credit and doing a really good job. Everything off my report except for late payments which is keeping my score stagnant. 

So I went to the bank today (Chase) and after doing my banking I was told I was pre approved for the new Chase freedom unlimted. Great I want another credit card to build my credit further however I told the banker that I did not want to apply for the card knowing it would be a hard pull and me still thinking my score is to low to be approved. She asured me that I was pre approved and that means I will not be denied and that it only is a soft pull on my credit. After asking multiple times and her assuring me multiple times that it is a soft pull and I will be approved. I agreed and the banker clicked the button etc great automatically approved with a high credit limit few minutues later after paperwork etc I said thank you and walked out. A few minutes later I get an alert from CreditKarma, credit.com etc etc after checking all of them I see a hard pull and score drops a few points. 

So am I able to dispute just to get it of my report or not or is it just pointless I only ask because I asked more then a dozen times if this would happpen and the banker assured me NO. 

Welcome to MyFICO

While I understand your frustration that you received a HP after being told it would be a SP multiple times, a dispute won't do you any good as Chase did have a legitimate reason for the HP.  You ended up being approved so I wouldnt be too upset about a single HP.  They really aren't that big of a deal and whatever small, if any, effect it will have on your credit score will be gone in a year.  You ended up with a very nice credit card so I would just move on and enjoy the card.  For future reference, always assume, no matter what anyone else tells you, that you will receive a HP when you apply for credit.  If one HP isn't worth getting for the card, it's not worth applying for.

You could call the bank and ask to speak to a supervisor and see if you can get them to recode the inquiry as a SP but I wouldnt hold my breathe.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to MyFICO

While I understand your frustration that you received a HP after being told it would be a SP multiple times, a dispute won't do you any good as Chase did have a legitimate reason for the HP.  You ended up being approved so I wouldnt be too upset about a single HP.  They really aren't that big of a deal and whatever small, if any, effect it will have on your credit score will be gone in a year.  You ended up with a very nice credit card so I would just move on and enjoy the card.  For future reference, always assume, no matter what anyone else tells you, that you will receive a HP when you apply for credit.  If one HP isn't worth getting for the card, it's not worth applying for.

You could call the bank and ask to speak to a supervisor and see if you can get them to recode the inquiry as a SP but I wouldnt hold my breathe.

I figured just wanted to ask thanks for the advice and yes I am happy that I was approved and got a nice card. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to MyFICO

I figured just wanted to ask thanks for the advice and yes I am happy that I was approved and got a nice card. 

Yeah it sucks when you are lied to or assuming the best, you dealt with a very uniformed representative so I completely understand being irked.  I would call the branch manager and let them know about your experience.  Stick around on the forums and participate when you can.  The credit card forum has a lot of knowledgable posters and we always welcome new experiences and ideas.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's very rare that you're able to open a new account without a hard inquiry. SCT comes to mind, but if you can get approved for a high limit Chase card then you should take that any day over an SCT card. Whatever Credit.com or Credit Karma says your score is, ignore it. FICO only looks at inquires in the past 12 months and in 6-12 months with on time payments your score should be about the same or possibly better. To give an example I lost less than 10 points for a new account with the inquiry being about 3 of those points.

Not too long ago I was poking around one of the online dispute sites, I think it was Experian or Transunion, and it doesn't even let you dispute an inquiry online. You have to call in. It would be very likely to treated as fraud and place a fraud alert and/or freeze on your reports. A wrong date or balance can happen but an unknown inquiry is likely related to identity theft.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.