Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Experian

tag
SmileAllDay
New Visitor

Dispute Experian

Hello!

I am about to dispute a couple of items in my Experian file.  I have seen that it is recommended to NOT dispute online?  Is this true and why?  I already have monitoring with Experian so it would be fairly quick to do their online disputes.  I also have a letter of dispute waiting to go.

I would like some advice from experienced folks on this, and soon because I am about to do one or the other. 

If I mail, what is the correct address to mail to?  I am getting conflicting PO boxes.  Arrgghh.....
Thanks alot for your advice!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you dispute online you may be not getting some of the...

If you dispute online you may be not getting some of the flexibility (online disputes are generally pick one of these reasons listed below). Additionally you may need to agree to some agreement, which may limit your rights, or privacy.

As far as what address - just get one current address from their site. Don't forget confirmation, and potentially signature one depending upon what you're planning on doing with this later.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Online Disputes

I disputed my TU report - one account that was over the maximum reporting time and two addresses that were never mine.  They were deleted from my report within one day.
Message 3 of 11
yoreljm
New Contributor

The dispute tools do seem kinda bogus and useless. It see...

okrogius wrote:
If you dispute online you may be not getting some of the flexibility (online disputes are generally pick one of these reasons listed below). Additionally you may need to agree to some agreement, which may limit your rights, or privacy.

As far as what address - just get one current address from their site. Don't forget confirmation, and potentially signature one depending upon what you're planning on doing with this later.

The dispute tools do seem kinda bogus and useless. It seems all the Credit Bureaus do is ask the creditor "is this true?" and the creditor looks at the same file that it use to report to the Bureaus and say "yes, it is true". I don't see how the process helps if you are disputing the validity of an account. My, mom for example, called the 'original creditor' asking about an account that was now in collections, and the 'original creditor' said "we have no record that you ever had an account with us". had no clue what account she was talking about becse she was never a costomer! However, when experian "investigated", they said the account was valid.
Message 4 of 11
dallas01
New Contributor

I disputed a 3200.00 cc charge off  w/experian online and...

I disputed a 3200.00 cc charge off  w/experian online and they had it off my file in 48 hours. I've also disputed other stuff and I'm still waiting for those.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute online-good choice

Hi,

Having just disputed some items on my Experian report in March 07, I can tell you that online seems to be the easiest option. I have to tell you that I had doubts that negative items would be removed from my report that easily but to my surprise, two items over 2 years old were deleted in 48 hours. I was not expecting a response for 45 days (that's what they tell you). You could do the paper route but trust me, they don't do anymore then they would if you do it online and you risk having them say they never got it or delays due to misplaced mail.

As for giving up your rights etc, the statements you must agree to are: 1) You are obtaining your own credit report 2) You acknowledge it is a federal crime to obtain a report for someone other than yourself and may be punished by a fine etc. etc. 3) You agree to have the investigation results also submitted to you via email. That's it.  by law they cannot take away your right to dispute your credit report but they can if they think it's "frivolous" a fancy word for "you are lying".

If you want to do the paper route the address is

Experian  PO Box 9556  ALLEN, TX 75013

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

To date, I have seen no significant difference between di...

To date, I have seen no significant difference between disputing online or disputing on paper.  You normally don't have to worry about the canned / limited response options because disputing a trade line just makes the creditor verify the debt.  If it is verified it will stay.

Creditors and collections agencies are required to provide you proof of the debt - the level of that proof is the issue.  If they cannot prove it they cannot report it.  That being said, I have had creditors and collection agencies try to provide internal limited statements.  I never accept those on faith and keep pushing for real proof.

Don't let any collection agency take advantage of you if the debt is not legit.   
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing with Experian - Mailing Address

Experian does not like foks to dispute by mail, and makes it hard for them to know their mail address.

I DID dispute recently with them (I was sucessful) and the address used was: 

Experian, POBox 9555, Allen TX 75013

I have enough experience disputing with CRAs, and I tell you: do it only by mail:  Certified Mail.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing with Experian - Mailing Address

Last year, I disputed a Providian account that was sold to Harris & Dial. Both entries remained on my CR even after validation request letters were sent to each and subsequently ignored. After giving them a few months, I disputed with Experian online.

Other -
Creditor failed to validate debt after request was made in 1/2007. Proof available upon request.

My wife cached a screenshot of the page and emailed it to me for our records.

It was removed 2 weeks later.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing with Experian - Mailing Address

I am going to do it by mail but I just was reading an old post of someone actually faxing it in....
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.