Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute credit report from one bureau with an accurate report from another

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute credit report from one bureau with an accurate report from another

Hey all,

Does anyone know if it is legal to send a copy of an obtained credit report as evidence of a dispute with one of the bureaus? My EQ report has a ton of inaccuracies that appear to be from another person with a similar name and I was thinking of uploading my correct TU and EX reports as pieces of evidence since this will be a large dispute. Will TU or EX have a problem with me sharing this?

Thank you

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dispute credit report from one bureau with an accurate report from another

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

Does anyone know if it is legal to send a copy of an obtained credit report as evidence of a dispute with one of the bureaus? My EQ report has a ton of inaccuracies that appear to be from another person with a similar name and I was thinking of uploading my correct TU and EX reports as pieces of evidence since this will be a large dispute. Will TU or EX have a problem with me sharing this?

Thank you

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

While it isnt illegal you wont get anywhere doing so, you need to dispute each TL that is reporting in error on the merits with each CRA.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcome.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. EQ has personal information that is incorrect and I believe, as a result, they have a bunch of hard pulls associated with another person on my report. TU and EX do not have these and their reports are completely correct as I read them. That's why I was going to upload my TU and EX reports. Would showing these correct reports to EQ not help provide proof of inaccuracy?

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes it is perfectly proper.

Confidentially only applies to parties other than the consumer to which the report applies.

You are free to disclose your own personal info to others.

Message 4 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the welcome.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. EQ has personal information that is incorrect and I believe, as a result, they have a bunch of hard pulls associated with another person on my report. TU and EX do not have these and their reports are completely correct as I read them. That's why I was going to upload my TU and EX reports. Would showing these correct reports to EQ not help provide proof of inaccuracy?

Keep in mind that lenders often only pull from one CRA.   There will likely always be differences in the HPs that show from one CRA to another.   The CRAs don't necessarily care what the other CRAs do, unfortunately, so another CRA's reports in and of themselves may not be satisfactory for EQ (but as has been said, it's certainly your right to present that info as part of your overall case).   I would call EQ ASAP, if you haven't done so already.   They do need to investigate, especially if you didn't apply for credit.   You may also want to put a fraud alert on EQ.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Would showing these correct reports to EQ not help provide proof of inaccuracy?

Nope.  If EQ isn't correct then why would someone assume the others to be correct?  While TU and EX may be correct in your situation they're just as susceptible to errors and mistakes.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Certain information is either accurate or it is not.

Any party who has furnished information to a CRA is required to promptly update that information as needed to maintain its current accuracy.

Thus, the current showing of the same factual information being different with different CRAs does provide evidence of inaccuracy in current reporting.

It might not establish which is inaccurate, but certainly is relevant to the issue of inaccuracy.

Particularly if supported by your own evidence, and if the inaccurate reporting is the earlier reporting.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.