cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute letter to CRA question on collection.

tag
Xev0luti0nXx
Valued Member

Dispute letter to CRA question on collection.

I've had success getting several dings off my credit report so far, but the more I read the more choices I see.

I have two (2) paid collections remaining on my CR which are both medical. It is becoming a PITA to deal with these. I did realize though that I haven't disputed them with the CRA's yet. My understanding from what I've read is that if you dispute a paid medical collection the CA can no longer report information as medical information that was released to collect the debt has no business related purpose anymore. Is that correct? That or once they are paid they don't even bother to verify it with the CRA's sometimes?

Also, if I dispute with the CRA's would I just claim "not mine" even though they were and I paid them, just to get the verification process on the way? There have been many different posts on the forum and processes on how to get a Paid Medical Collection removed and I would like to know the best course of action for my situation.

Is it also right that I can DV the CA now and they don't even have to respond since it is already paid? Any help is appreciated!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Xev0luti0nXx
Valued Member

Re: Dispute letter to CRA question on collection.

bump
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If that's the case I WILL PAY the med collection (can't get a PFD) and then dispute.

It's how it's suppose to be but I have no faith in a CA respecting my rights - be they FDCPA, FCRA, or HIPAA.

If someone has succedded at this - please let us know.
Message 3 of 12
Xev0luti0nXx
Valued Member

BIZZUMP!
Message 4 of 12
Xev0luti0nXx
Valued Member

Anyone??
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Given the automation of the verfication process - disputing is not going to help- the CA just says "Yep- This is his/hers and it's paid. It stays until xx/2010"

The best way to deal with a medical CA is going to the OC and work a deal or find a HIPPA/FDCPA violation.  or get a PFD.

Even discussing Disputing ACCURATE information is a myFICO TOS violation. This type of dispute often make the CA appear more current in the eyes of FICO and can reduce your score even more.  

Xev0luti0nXx wrote:
I've had success getting several dings off my credit report so far, but the more I read the more choices I see.

I have two (2) paid collections remaining on my CR which are both medical. It is becoming a PITA to deal with these. I did realize though that I haven't disputed them with the CRA's yet. My understanding from what I've read is that if you dispute a paid medical collection the CA can no longer report information as medical information that was released to collect the debt has no business related purpose anymore. Is that correct? That or once they are paid they don't even bother to verify it with the CRA's sometimes?

Also, if I dispute with the CRA's would I just claim "not mine" even though they were and I paid them, just to get the verification process on the way? There have been many different posts on the forum and processes on how to get a Paid Medical Collection removed and I would like to know the best course of action for my situation.

Is it also right that I can DV the CA now and they don't even have to respond since it is already paid? Any help is appreciated!

Message 6 of 12
Xev0luti0nXx
Valued Member

Alright, well I've called the OC and they say it's illegal for them to request the CA to remove the account blah blah blah typical OC response. As for the HIPPA/FDCPA, do I send a DV letter so I can see how they communicated my information to the CA and then look for a violation in that? Like I said before, these are two PAID MEDICAL collections. Being medical, they have to be easier then getting regular collections off my CR, right? As for the disputing, I wanted to dispute to see if the CA would just forget about it and not respond and then have the CA removed that way.

Any information anyone can give me would be helpful, I have already read over the HIPPA letter and process but I don't think it applies in my situation, being that they are paid.

Thanks for the help!

@Anonymous wrote:

Given the automation of the verfication process - disputing is not going to help- the CA just says "Yep- This is his/hers and it's paid. It stays until xx/2010"

The best way to deal with a medical CA is going to the OC and work a deal or find a HIPPA/FDCPA violation. or get a PFD.

Even discussing Disputing ACCURATE information is a myFICO TOS violation. This type of dispute often make the CA appear more current in the eyes of FICO and can reduce your score even more.

@Xev0luti0nXx wrote:

Message 7 of 12
sh9730
Regular Contributor

My belief is that it IS a HIPAA violation to report on the CR after payment has been made to the OC.  However, I had only one small medical collection, it was not a hospital so was out of SOL and was gonna fall off in June anyway, SO I was able to get the OC to pull it back from the CA and do a PFD for the original billing amount (no interest or CA fees). 

Do a google search for WhyChat and Medical....there is a whole process (legal process) there to handle medical collections.  The process applies whether the debt is valid or not. (Offers choices for either option).
Message 8 of 12
Xev0luti0nXx
Valued Member

Like I said before, I have already investigated the HIPPA letter and read the process. I did not pay the OC, I paid the CA. This was before I found the site.

So are you confirming my thought that it IS a HIPPA violation to report a collection on a medical account after the debt has been paid?

Can anyone tell me what I should do? DV the CA? Dispute on CRA's? I'm having a very tough time with these two, and every thread I have read about removing a paid medical collection go back and forth between the same methods, but it never seems like there is a resolve.

I am hoping one of the experts can chime in and steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Message 9 of 12
Xev0luti0nXx
Valued Member

bump
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.