cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute listed on credit card, that I did not dispute!

tag
wednesdayaddamsd
Regular Contributor

Dispute listed on credit card, that I did not dispute!

I have a credit card account with HSBC that was just opened last year. It now reads "account disputed by customer" and I have never, ever disputed it! How do I remove a "disputed account" notation that was never disputed?

Amex PRG. Amex Blue. Amex ED. Cap 1 Quiksilver. Saks Fifth Avenue. Neiman Marcus. Grandin Road. Target Red Card. Barclay Rewards. Home Depot. Paypal BML. Affirm. Victoria's Secret. Care Credit. Lumber Liquidators. Art Van. Evine. Firestone. Discount Tire. Discover IT.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Dispute listed on credit card, that I did not dispute!

Have you ever questioned a charge with the OC?  That will constitute a dispute also.

Message 2 of 7
kjm79
Valued Contributor

I think this is a problem common to HSBC.  Last summer I lost my wallet and reported two HSBC cards lost/stolen.  HSBC then cancels those cards and re-issues me two new ones.  Not just new cards, but whole new accounts, new acct #'s.  The opening dates are the same but on the "old" acct's in status it says I dispute the acct.  Never ever did.  When I called up HSBC, after 20 min of telling the CSR I never disputed it, it was updated to say the card was lost/stolen. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 3 of 7
wednesdayaddamsd
Regular Contributor

Re: Dispute listed on credit card, that I did not dispute

No, I've never disputed anything. The card has a zero balance and has been barely used.

Amex PRG. Amex Blue. Amex ED. Cap 1 Quiksilver. Saks Fifth Avenue. Neiman Marcus. Grandin Road. Target Red Card. Barclay Rewards. Home Depot. Paypal BML. Affirm. Victoria's Secret. Care Credit. Lumber Liquidators. Art Van. Evine. Firestone. Discount Tire. Discover IT.
Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You can call the CRA, and if you actually get a live person, ask them where the dispute came from and if they will remove it.

Message 5 of 7
wednesdayaddamsd
Regular Contributor

Update:

I called HSBC and they said I had to send them a copy of my credit reports with a letter asking them to remove the notation. Here it is not my fault, this dispute shows up on all three reports, and I obviously did not do this! But it is suddenly my problem to fix.

Just wanted to let y'all know in case it happens to you. I had to send a letter with documentation. I mailed the letter today. arrrrghhhh!

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can comply with their request, but you dont have to handle it that way.

That comment derives from the reporting of what is called an "FCRA Compliance Compliance Code," which should not have been reported unless you filed a dispute under either FCRA 611(a) through the CRA, or a direct dispute with the creditor under FCRA 623(a)(8).

Just send the CRA a written request under FCRA 609(a)(1) for that item of information.  You dont have to provide any reason or documentation.  They are required to provide it to you, provided your 609(a)(1) request is accompanied by the required fee under FCRA 612(f), which is currently $10.50.

Once you have that information, you can send a direct dispute to the party who reported it, questioning its accuracy.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.