Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute or Nah?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute or Nah?

Hi... right now I'm keeping my head down and working hard towards my goal of no longer being a credit scumbag.  Question though, I received a notice that I had a credit inquiry from one of my revolving cards--and then a 7 pt drop.  The only thing I've done regarding this card is pay more than the monthly minimum due.  When I went to Equifax to dispute this, I was asked to provide a10-digit number in order to find my file.  Where on earth is this number?  Is it normal for a fluctuation such as this or should I dispute?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Dispute or Nah?

That's the credit report number from the report you are referencing.  

Contact the creditor that made the HP, ask why they did it and ask to remove.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@TheGardner wrote:

That's the credit report number from the report you are referencing.  

Contact the creditor that made the HP, ask why they did it and ask to remove.

yup, the only shot you have at getting it removed is to ask the creditor. If you are referring to a sp you dont need to do anything as those inqs are never seen by anyone but you.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You also don't need the 10 digit number to file a dispute .  You just ask to do it through personal information.  That said, a dispute won't do any good and as said you need to contact the creditor.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I recommend that you do not file a dispute.

If they are an existing creditor, the inquiry clearly had permisible purpose, and will NOT be removed by the CRA.

The issue is that it should have been coded as a soft inquiry.

I would make an informal call, notify the creditor of the problem,and have them recode the inquiry as an internal account review.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.