Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputed Collection remains on account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputed Collection remains on account

In October 2006 I disputed two collection accounts for the same company and they removed one of them and left the other on my report.  Below is a copy of the information with personal details excluded of course:

So after reviewing the information below, my question is, how much longer will this be on my credit since it was paid so long ago?  Is there anything I can do to get it removed sooner?  I was denied a small loan due to 'collection' information on my credit report and this is the only collection item on it.  Thank you in advance for your advice.

Status Details:  This item was verified on Oct 2006 and remained unchanged.

Date Opened: 02/2001 Reported Since: 10/2000 

Your statement:  Account previously in dispute - now resolved, reported by credit grantor

Account History: Collection as of Oct 2000

Credit Limit/Original Amount: $348

Recent Balance: NA

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputed Collection remains on account

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still am not sure if there is anything else for me to do?  I read through your Credit 101 post previously and I have disputed this as it was my ex husbands bill, not mine, yet it remains on my credit not his even after the dispute.

Should I try the Good will letter?  This debt was paid off when we were still married over 6 years ago.
Message 3 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

BetterFicoForMePlease wrote:
I still am not sure if there is anything else for me to do?  I read through your Credit 101 post previously and I have disputed this as it was my ex husbands bill, not mine, yet it remains on my credit not his even after the dispute.

Should I try the Good will letter?  This debt was paid off when we were still married over 6 years ago.

Was this paid collection a joint account?
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the delay in responding, work, kids, you know...........

What it was, was a hospital bill he didn't pay.  I ended up paying it when I found out it was in collections.  The only reason I think it shows on my account is because I was the medical insurance carrier when we were married.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a secondary question on this as well...........
Since I disputed it in 2006 and it stayed on my credit none the less, will it remain there for 7 years from the dispute/last activity, or will it drop off 7 years after it was reported?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

BetterFicoForMePlease wrote:
I have a secondary question on this as well...........
Since I disputed it in 2006 and it stayed on my credit none the less, will it remain there for 7 years from the dispute/last activity, or will it drop off 7 years after it was reported?

The dispute won't affect the drop off date.  It'll still be approx 7 yrs from DOFD
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So from the information on my credit report, how do I determine the DOFD?
On EX it states: Date Opened: 02/2001 Reported Since: 10/2000  Last Reported: 10/2001
On EQ it states Date Assigned 2/2001 Date Reported 11/2001
On TU it states Date Closed 7/2002 Date Paid 10/2001 Date Placed for Collection 2/2001 Estimated Date this item will be removed 9/2007

I really hope it is removed then, but am far from holding my breath.  But with all of these dates, how do you know what the DOFD is? 
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please let me add, thank you for your help Tuscani, fused111 and Trinigal, it is greatly appreciated!
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Estimated Date this item will be removed 9/2007

If I can't find the DOFD  and it went to CA  I look for date assigned. The DOFD must be before this date or it would not have been assigned to anyone.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 08-07-2007 11:51 AM
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.