Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputed Collections

tag
rudy
Regular Contributor

Disputed Collections

Recently, I noticed a collection on equifax. My fico went down about 30 pts. However, I disputed the collection and it was removed. But my fico only went up 10 pts. I was thinking if it went down 30 pts because of the collection, it should raise 30 pts after the collection has been removed
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputed Collections

Nope. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 9
rudy
Regular Contributor

Wht nope to this situation? Please explain
Message 3 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Generally, as soon as you have a change on your reports you "should" see a change in score.
Remember though, scores are based on what is there TODAY. Your score should for the most part recover quite nicely, however like I said it may not recover 100% right away.

PS... Did anything else change on your reports?
Message 4 of 9
rudy
Regular Contributor

the only other thing was delinquency in payment to electric company. However, that was paid in full before they reported, and it is currently paid in full
Message 5 of 9
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

how u dispute a collection when you are responsible for it?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

NEED HELP!  I'm new to the forums and not quite sure where to post this...  On my most recent credit reports there have been accounts from collection agencies that I was not aware of.  However, I am taking full responsibility for the 2 accounts.  My question is, since I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANYTHING FROM THESE TWO ENTITIES SINCE 2003 (or EVER actually), is there a letter or complaint I can send to them?  Are they not supposed to get in contact with the person responsible for the debt within a certain time frame?  Also, since getting in contact with them by phone, I have not received any further info. about the account.  I'm confused.  They can't just keep the account recurring if they have not contacted me at all (by phone or mail), can they?  Helpful suggestions please!

Message Edited by Counselor3 on 08-05-2007 10:20 AM
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey newbie!!  Welcome!  First of all, you should start a NEW posting with your question.  Right now your topic is a bit buried.  Go to the main Forum page, select an appropriate  category, Click at the top where is says "New Message" and post your topic.  You will get more responses that way.  Now as far as your question, you should send out what is referred to as a PFD ( pay for deletion) Letter.  There are samples on this forum that you can use as a guideline.  Basically what you are doing with this letter is attemping to make an agreement between yourself and the CA ( collection agency ) that if you take responsibility and pay off your collection or posssibly even agree on a discounted portion of it that the CA will delete that item from your CR ( credit report).  Make sense?  Good luck!!

Message 8 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

laryn41 wrote:
how u dispute a collection when you are responsible for it?

I wouldn't dispute a collection that is yours.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.