cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputed and deleted, only to return the very next month???

tag
GLMRGIRL717
Established Member

Disputed and deleted, only to return the very next month???

I disputed an old charge-off on my Experian report.  It no longer showed on my Transunion or Equifax reports.  I recieved an email from Experian two days later that said they deleted the listing.  When I checked the report, it was gone and my score had jumped by 95 points.  I check again today and it is listed on my report again and my score dropped back down.  It stated that the debt was sold to another creditor.  Do I have to dispute it again to get it removed?  Will they put it back on every month?  Is there anyway to prevent this from being an ongoing situation?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputed and deleted, only to return the very next month???

Is the new collector reporting.. or was the exact same TL reinserted?
Message 2 of 6
GLMRGIRL717
Established Member

It was the exact same tradeline reinserted.  Only now it shows it as charged off as of May 2005-2007. 
Message 3 of 6
GLMRGIRL717
Established Member

Bump.
Message 4 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Message 5 of 6
Boswd
Valued Contributor

My guess is this.   When you diputed it with the original CA  it was already sold at that point and couldn't verify and if they can't verify it is deleted.    Now that it is in the hands of another CA, they can report it if you still owe on the debt.   The other CA can't report anymore since they aren't assigned to the debt anymore.   But yeah, if you still owe the debt the new CA can report it.

Also this goes along the lines of if you dispute a debt that is still owed and the OC or a CA doesn't respond to the investigation within the CRA's time frame, then yes it will come off.   But that doesn't mean it can't reappear the next reporting cycle if the debt is still owed  as long as it is still within the 7.5 reporting time. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.