cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing Collection through CRA, CA wants proof it's not mine

tag
Augustlove

Disputing Collection through CRA, CA wants proof it's not mine

I recently disputed an incorrect Collection on my Credit Report, I disputed it as not mine. Here it is almost three weeks later and I received a letter from the CA stating they want a police report or they will continue to report the inaccurate collection on my report. Isn't the burden of proof on them? I don't have a Police Report, I just know that it is not my collection showing up on my report. What do I do? I'm here in California if that matters as far as the law is concerned.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing Collection through CRA, CA wants proof it's not mine

Augustlove wrote:
I recently disputed an incorrect Collection on my Credit Report, I disputed it as not mine. Here it is almost three weeks later and I received a letter from the CA stating they want a police report or they will continue to report the inaccurate collection on my report. Isn't the burden of proof on them? I don't have a Police Report, I just know that it is not my collection showing up on my report. What do I do? I'm here in California if that matters as far as the law is concerned.

yes they must show proof. What is this about  where they want a police report???
Message 2 of 7
Augustlove

Augustlove wrote: I recently disputed an incorrect Collection on my Credit Report, I disputed it as not mine. Here it is almost three weeks later and I received a letter from the CA stating they want a police report or they will continue to report the inaccurate collection on my report. Isn't the burden of proof on them? I don't have a Police Report, I just know that it is not my collection showing up on my report. What do I do? I'm here in California if that matters as far as the law is concerned.
The CA is saying that when I placed the dispute with the CRA's that I "indicated possible id theft" (I only stated that it was not mine- which it really is not my account) and "that since the account has already been resolved, in order to further investigate your claim you will need to provide supporting documentation such as a police report and or affidavit of fraud" Did I make a mistake when I filed my dispute? Is it normal for them to ask for this? Should I respond to them? Please give me some ideas of what to do.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send them a letter stating it is NOT yours - and YOU have no proof - they are the one required to PROVE it's yours!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone here is correct - the burden of proof is on the agency who is reporting the item, not you.

Did you send a DV letter to the collection agency reporting the item on your report?  They need to show you documentation that says that the debt is yours.   Send it CMRRR, and keep a copy of the letter, the receipts, etc.   If they don't provide the proof that the debt is yours after 30 days, send them another letter - this time indicate that they haven't provided validation of the debt within the 30 day period and they either need to delete the item from the report or provide documentation.   If they don't comply with proof of the debt or removal of the item, file a lawsuit in small claims court against the collection agency for violation of the FDCPA and serve them with papers.  

To support your position:

From this point on, don't deal with them over the telephone - continue your dealings with them in writing only.

Good luck!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Augustlove wrote:

Augustlove wrote: I recently disputed an incorrect Collection on my Credit Report, I disputed it as not mine. Here it is almost three weeks later and I received a letter from the CA stating they want a police report or they will continue to report the inaccurate collection on my report. Isn't the burden of proof on them? I don't have a Police Report, I just know that it is not my collection showing up on my report. What do I do? I'm here in California if that matters as far as the law is concerned.
The CA is saying that when I placed the dispute with the CRA's that I "indicated possible id theft" (I only stated that it was not mine- which it really is not my account) and "that since the account has already been resolved, in order to further investigate your claim you will need to provide supporting documentation such as a police report and or affidavit of fraud" Did I make a mistake when I filed my dispute? Is it normal for them to ask for this? Should I respond to them? Please give me some ideas of what to do.

sent them a letter stating 

#1 I did not dispute it as ID thief! It was reported as NOT MINE

As it is not mine I can not send you a police report.
If you can not prove that it is mine (which you can not do) It MUST be removed from my CR within 15 days from date of receipt,or  I will refer it to my attorney.
must go CMRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message Edited by HappyDays on 08-24-2007 01:10 PM
Message 6 of 7
Augustlove

Thankyou for for the info, I will be sending them a letter today CMRRR
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.