Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing addresses on CR

tag
xosamandaxo
Regular Contributor

Disputing addresses on CR

would that cause them to put a "Fraud alert"?

I disputed some addresses on Transunion, and my credit karma recently said there was a fraud alert put out on my report. This is standard for a dispute such as mine? Or should I try to get rid of that alert? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: Disputing addresses on CR

It would depend on how you disputed them.  If you dispute them as a "fraudulent address" then this could obviously happen.

I've removed every old address through all three CRBs without any flags being put on my accounts.  

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Technically, only a consumer or his representative can request a fraud alert.

However, as stated, the CRAs will sometines interpret any issue of potential identity theft as an inherent request by a consumer for a fraud alert.

That is not necessarily a bit thing.

Just as a fraud alert is imposed at request of a consumer, it can always be rescinded simply by notifying the CRA as such, provided it is accompanied by proof of your identity.

Simply notify the CRA to rescind it, and be sure to include proof of your identity, such as a photo ID and current bill sent to your address of record.

See FCRA 605A(a)(1)(A) for the right to recind at any time.

Message 3 of 5
kaydubya
Established Member

Should old addresses be removed, or only if they are actually incorrect?

Message 4 of 5
Involver
Valued Contributor

Removal of old addresses is beneficial if they are tied to old / negative TLs that you are trying to clean up.  

I also just wanted all of mine removed so that my information was concise and accurate.  The less data the CRAs have on me, the better.

I had 13 addresses listed on EX, several of which I haven't lived at for over 10 years.  I now have 1.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.