Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing credit report items

tag
Scott927

Disputing credit report items

Hello,

I pulled a free copy of my credit report at annualcreditreport.com in April of this year. I no longer have the records or anything that I got from doing that. I realized today that one of the negative indicators on my credit report with TransUnion and Equifax is on an account I was only an "Authorized User" on. It was not a joint account. I think I can dispute that and have it removed since, as an authorized user, I bear no responsibility for repayment (according to my current understanding).

Since I already pulled my free credit report for the year, what's the cheapest, easiest way to dispute them? Do I have to buy a single credit report from each of the two bureaus? Seems like I have to sign up for some kind of monthly monitoring with each one to get a report, which I don't want to do. I realize i can cancel within the trial period, but is there an easier way to do this when all I want is to dispute an item?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Disputing credit report items

Contact the cardholder on the account and have them rescind he AU status.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scott927 wrote:

Hello,

I pulled a free copy of my credit report at annualcreditreport.com in April of this year. I no longer have the records or anything that I got from doing that. I realized today that one of the negative indicators on my credit report with TransUnion and Equifax is on an account I was only an "Authorized User" on. It was not a joint account. I think I can dispute that and have it removed since, as an authorized user, I bear no responsibility for repayment (according to my current understanding).

Since I already pulled my free credit report for the year, what's the cheapest, easiest way to dispute them? Do I have to buy a single credit report from each of the two bureaus? Seems like I have to sign up for some kind of monthly monitoring with each one to get a report, which I don't want to do. I realize i can cancel within the trial period, but is there an easier way to do this when all I want is to dispute an item?

My recommendation is to google or seach this forum for CRA backdoor links.  I do believe that TU is pretty good about disputing any items you may have in question.  I know that EQ doesn't normally require you to sign up for a score watch if you have a valid reason for another CR such as a 60 day denial. 

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The process of including an account of another in your credit file/report is not an inaccuracy.

it is an anomolous but accepted process that the consumer has agree to, so thus it is not really inaccurate information.

Thus, I would not recommend initially approaching as inaccurate information, and thus disputable under section 611(a).

I would simply contact the creditor and have them report rescission of that status.

As for providing a credit report as part of a dispute, there is no such requirement.

The only reference in the regs to credit reports as part of a dispute appears in the direct dispute rules at 16 CFR 660.4 et seq, which states that a copy of your credit report can optionally be inccluded to show that the disputed information is actually appearing in your credit report.  It is not a requirment in either the CRA or direct dispute processed.

Just document your basis for assertion of inaccuracy of the info.  CRAs obviously have direct access to their own files, and can determine if the info is actually in your file.

It is only the direct dispute process wherein the furniher may not have your current credit report that it would even be a substantive issue.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.