Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing erroneous info on reports question

tag
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Disputing erroneous info on reports question

All my credit accounts report as they should so no issues there, however, some basic info is completely wrong. For example, one of my employers is listed as my first name and I want to remove it. If I dispute that info with the agencies, will that cause any dispute notices or alerts to appear on my report or will it be behind the scenes only? 

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Regular Contributor

Re: Disputing erroneous info on reports question

I've disputed incorrect addresses and debts and don't see any evidence of the disputes after they disappeared. I hope that helps.

There is one bad address that I can't remove: it's an address where my ex lived. It's frustrating that I can't see which creditor is reporting it, esp. since we didn't have any shared creditors when she moved there.
Fico 8 Scores
7/2020: EQ - 842; TU - 832; EX - 848
10/2017: EQ - 823; TU - 835; EX - 824
05/2016: EQ - 712; TU - 706; EX - 710
11/2015: EQ - 694; TU - 651; EX - 653
5/2015: EQ - 670
5/2014: EQ - 653
11/2013: EQ - 645
05/2013: EQ - 656
11/2012: EQ - 646

Eight CCs ($179,500 CL, 0%-1% UTIL)
AoOA = 18.6 years, AAoA = 60 mos., AoYA = 18 mos.
One mortgage, one HELOC, no car loans.
Derogs from 2009 and 2010 now gone after 7 years. I started paying attention to credit scores in about 2014. It's taken a few years but credit scores are now good after starting in the high 500s back in 2011

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Begin by contacting the CRA and simply asking for administrative correction.

That will usually resolve the matter without need for a formal dispute.

A formal dispute under the procedure set forth in FCRA 611 is to evaluate the accuracy of information that is provided by a "furnisher," and involves the referral of a copy of the dispute to the furnisher, a mandatory investigation by the furnisher, and a response back to the CRA, who ultimately "reinvestigates" the dispute and makes the final determination.

Dispute of most public record and consumer personal identifier information does not involve a furnisher, and does not require a formal dispute process.

For that very reason, the direct dispute process specifically exempts disputes related to such information, as their is normally no "furnisher" to which the dispute can be directly sent.

Message 3 of 4
iv
Valued Contributor

@909 wrote:
I've disputed incorrect addresses and debts and don't see any evidence of the disputes after they disappeared. I hope that helps.

There is one bad address that I can't remove: it's an address where my ex lived. It's frustrating that I can't see which creditor is reporting it, esp. since we didn't have any shared creditors when she moved there.

Ah! But you can!

Pull your Experian report - a real full one, either via annualcreditreport.com, or directly from experian.com via this link (select just "Experian Credit Report" on the far-right).  It'll be free (ACR or state-based free pull), or no more than $12.

Once you have the Experian report - check out the Personal Information section, and note the "Address identification number" next to the address that keeps re-reporting for you.  Then look for the matching address ID in the list of accounts.  The one that matches is the one reporting the wrong address.

At the moment, it's only Experian that exposes this level of info on the consumer-level reports, but in most cases the reporting info will be the same across CRAs, so...

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.