Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing info..does it reset?

tag
butterflygirlinluv
Regular Contributor

Disputing info..does it reset?

Good Morning,
I recently disputed some info on my CR and now that they have updated, it's looking like the account reset it self. It's now reporting 2015. when it was 2010.
Is this right?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Disputing info..does it reset?

Do you have copies of both reports?

Did the DOFD change?

Did derogs get removed?  

It is posible if the negative information was removed- it is now a positive account and will stay on longer- we need more DATA
Message 2 of 10
butterflygirlinluv
Regular Contributor

Timothy wrote:

Did the DOFD change?

Did derogs get removed?  

It is posible if the negative information was removed- it is now a positive account and will stay on longer- we need more DATA

Timothy,
I have a report from 6/25/08 and then the report that was emailed to me for the investigation results.

I do not see the DOFD but this is what is was reporting on 6/28/08:
Reported since: June 1998
Date of Status: Jan 2005
Last reported: jan 2005
This acct is scheduled to continue on record until Oct 2010

This is what was on the investigation results report:
Reported since: July 2001
Date of Status: Feb 2008
Lat reported: June 2008
This account is scheduled to continue on record until July 2015 and was verfied and updated.

WHY?? would should I do?? It's still a negative account.
Thank you..please let me know if you need more info!
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just by looking at what you wrote, it appears that EX thinks that the first reporting was incorrect.   Why would the status date be changed?   Did the creditor re-report it late as of Feb 08?   Can you give more background on why you disputed it and why they would say it was settled in Feb?
Message 4 of 10
butterflygirlinluv
Regular Contributor

Boscoe wrote:
Just by looking at what you wrote, it appears that EX thinks that the first reporting was incorrect.   Why would the status date be changed?   Did the creditor re-report it late as of Feb 08?   Can you give more background on why you disputed it and why they would say it was settled in Feb?

I disputed the status b/c it stated that it was paid in settlement/past due. It wasn't past due, i settle a couple of years ago and have copies of the checks that i paid. So for your other questions, i have no idea. I haven't had any access to this account in years. Who would I call regarding all the changes..Experian? I just don't want to screw myself. My highest score is with experian and I dont want to mess with that.
Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Butterflygrl, this is a serious problem that was cleared up by amendment to the FCRA back in 2002.
Once an account becomes delinquent by the consumer, only the date of the account delinquency controls how long it may remain in your credit report.  This is 7 years for CC delinquencies, and 7 1/2 years for CO and CA accounts. 
REGARDLESS of whether the account was charged off, or placed into collection, disputed, or whether you made any payments, ANY later account activity after the delinquency date (except for student loans and liens) is immaterial under the law as to how long it can be reported by the CRA in a consumer credit report. 
They may NOT reset the dropoff date.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 07-14-2008 07:01 PM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 07-14-2008 07:04 PM
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

butterflygirlinluv wrote:

Timothy wrote:

Did the DOFD change?

Did derogs get removed?  

Timothy,
I have a report from 6/25/08 and then the report that was emailed to me for the investigation results.

I do not see the DOFD but this is what is was reporting on 6/28/08:
Reported since: June 1998
Date of Status: Jan 2005
Last reported: jan 2005
This acct is scheduled to continue on record until Oct 2010

This is what was on the investigation results report:
Reported since: July 2001
Date of Status: Feb 2008
Lat reported: June 2008
This account is scheduled to continue on record until July 2015 and was verfied and updated.

WHY?? would should I do?? It's still a negative account.
Thank you..please let me know if you need more info!

I would dispute as illegal re-aging by changing the FCRA compliance date or DOFD,  via mail or fax.

I would send a copy of both reports and highlight the problem.
Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The illegality of the common practice of resetting periods caused a 1.5 mill cause of action by the FTC by one who did this:

www.ftc.opa/ncogroup.shtm

FTC News Report

For Release: May 13, 2004

NCO Group to Pay Largest FCRA Civil Penalty to Date

One of the nation’s largest debt-collection firms will pay $1.5 million to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) by reporting inaccurate information about consumer accounts to credit bureaus. The civil penalty against Pennsylvania-based NCO Group, Inc. is the largest civil penalty ever obtained in a FCRA case.

According to the FTC’s complaint, defendants NCO Group, Inc.; NCO Financial Systems, Inc.; and NCO Portfolio Management, Inc. violated Section 623(a)(5) of the FCRA, which specifies that any entity that reports information to credit bureaus about a delinquent consumer account that has been placed for collection or written off must report the actual month and year the account first became delinquent. In turn, this date is used by the credit bureaus to measure the maximum seven-year reporting period the FCRA mandates. The provision helps ensure that outdated debts – debts that are beyond this seven-year reporting period – do not appear on a consumer’s credit report. Violations of this provision of the FCRA are subject to civil penalties of $2,500 per violation.

The FTC charges that NCO reported accounts using later-than-actual delinquency dates. Reporting later-than-actual dates may cause negative information to remain in a consumer’s credit file beyond the seven-year reporting period permitted by the FCRA for most information. When this occurs, consumers’ credit scores may be lowered, possibly resulting in their rejection for credit or their having to pay a higher interest rate.

The proposed consent decree orders the defendants to pay civil penalties of $1.5 million and permanently bars them from reporting later-than-actual delinquency dates to credit bureaus in the future. Additionally, NCO is required to implement a program to monitor all complaints received to ensure that reporting errors are corrected quickly. The consent agreement also contains standard recordkeeping and other requirements to assist the FTC in monitoring the defendants’ compliance.

The Commission vote to authorize staff to refer the complaint and consent decree to the Department of Justice was 5-0. The Department of Justice filed this matter at the FTC’s request in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania on May 12, 2004.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 07-14-2008 07:27 PM
Message 8 of 10
butterflygirlinluv
Regular Contributor

so the REPORTED DATE is the actual dofd? who am i sending copies to...Experian?
Message 9 of 10
butterflygirlinluv
Regular Contributor

So I called Experian to explain that the reported date and year account is schedule to continue on record has changed on my most recent dispute report and they said to call the OC to get this info...am I doing this right? I know Side said to fax or mail a letter...but I thought I would try calling first...is this ok?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.